novice question about toilet tank bolts/hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

cjs1996

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an older Crane toilet and the tank rocks slightly (no leaks though), I can see that one of the tank bolts is loose. Instead of just cranking the nuts down, I was thinking about going ahead and replacing the tank to bowl gasket, as well as the tank bolt hardware, and giving everything a good cleaning with the tank off.

My question is about the tank bolts: Should there be two nuts on each tank bolt, or is one sufficient?

The reason I ask is because I just installed a Toto Drake in another bathroom, and there were 2 nuts for each tank bolt, so it went like this (from top to bottom):

tank bolt head
rubber washer
bottom of tank
regular washer
nut (#1)
bowl
regular washer
nut (#2)

So I actually tightened the first washer & nut (#1) onto the tank which compressed the rubber washer before I even sat the tank on the bowl. Once I sat the tank on the bowl then I installed the second washer and nut (#2) which held the tank in place.

(BTW - I notice that the Drake manual on this website differs from mine in that it doesn't show this second set nut on each bolt.. not sure why)

My existing Crane toilet only has one nut on each bolt:

tank bolt head
rubber washer
bottom of tank
bowl
regular washer
nut

Is this standard? Seems to me that the additional nut between the tank and bowl would be less likely to leak, since even if the bottom nut works loose, the rubber washer is still held tight.

Is one way better than the other? Should I look for a tank bolt kit with 2 sets of washers nuts on each bolt? Or does it even matter?

Thanks,
Chris

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It seems that many of us prefer the your method number 1. The nut on the underside of the tank can safely be snugged up to ensure a good squeeze on the bolt washer. If the only nut is on the underside of the bowl top, it is hard to tighten that sufficiently, although it is often done, especially seen on older toilets, apparently with success.

fluidmaster-bolts-package.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
tank bolts

cjs1996 said:
Hi,

I've got an older Crane toilet and the tank rocks slightly (no leaks though), I can see that one of the tank bolts is loose. Instead of just cranking the nuts down, I was thinking about going ahead and replacing the tank to bowl gasket, as well as the tank bolt hardware, and giving everything a good cleaning with the tank off.

My question is about the tank bolts: Should there be two nuts on each tank bolt, or is one sufficient?

The reason I ask is because I just installed a Toto Drake in another bathroom, and there were 2 nuts for each tank bolt, so it went like this (from top to bottom):

tank bolt head
rubber washer
bottom of tank
regular washer
nut (#1)
bowl
regular washer
nut (#2)

So I actually tightened the first washer & nut (#1) onto the tank which compressed the rubber washer before I even sat the tank on the bowl. Once I sat the tank on the bowl then I installed the second washer and nut (#2) which held the tank in place.

(BTW - I notice that the Drake manual on this website differs from mine in that it doesn't show this second set nut on each bolt.. not sure why)

My existing Crane toilet only has one nut on each bolt:

tank bolt head
rubber washer
bottom of tank
bowl
regular washer
nut

Is this standard? Seems to me that the additional nut between the tank and bowl would be less likely to leak, since even if the bottom nut works loose, the rubber washer is still held tight.

Is one way better than the other? Should I look for a tank bolt kit with 2 sets of washers nuts on each bolt? Or does it even matter?

Thanks,
Chris

You have to go with the manufactors installation unless you find that something won't work, they are not the same. Luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks