(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Tub DWV question

Default Tub DWV question

In this picture, the foot of the new replacement tub will sit directly on top of the cast wye fitting. This is no good because the wye fitting sits above the top of the joist, so I can't get a piece of plywood over it for the tub to sit on.

My thought was to relocate the wye into the next joist bay, roughly where the hammer handle is. This would require the vent line to run in a new notch cut in the joist, roughly where the hammer head is.

Is this OK? Any other ideas on how to relocate the vent/DWV connection? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chassis; 12-21-2006 at 05:46 PM.

Any possiblity of scabbing on a piece of 1" board over the joists to get over the problem of being on the wye? I'm assuming that the problem is just that the pipe is too high and hitting the plywood you are laying down.

The pipe is indeed too high. The old tub was different in the way it sat on the joists. Problem I run into is the height of the floor under the tub vs. the rest of the bathroom vs. the adjacent hallway. Raising the floor is the last thing I want to do, but it may be the eventual solution. It would mean a transition piece is required at the door jamb between bathroom and hallway.

Is my proposed wye relocation OK, plumbing code-wise?

I think I have the solution. The joists in this part of the room are low, and need to be shimmed to meet with the highest joist in the rest of the room. Plywood will go on top, so I will be bridging over this troublesome wye. Thanks for the responses.

Default tub

The other solution is to not worry about the tub's foot because you will be suspending it by a stringer under the back ledge and the apron in the front.

hj,

Good point! The offending foot is on the apron side, adjacent the drain/overflow, so the support will be coming from under the apron. Plus I plan to use a mortar base under the belly of the tub. Should be a pretty solid/stable installation.