Tub DWV question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
In this picture, the foot of the new replacement tub will sit directly on top of the cast wye fitting. This is no good because the wye fitting sits above the top of the joist, so I can't get a piece of plywood over it for the tub to sit on.

My thought was to relocate the wye into the next joist bay, roughly where the hammer handle is. This would require the vent line to run in a new notch cut in the joist, roughly where the hammer head is.

Is this OK? Any other ideas on how to relocate the vent/DWV connection? Thanks.

Attachments

• tub_dwv.JPG
    tub_dwv.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Any possiblity of scabbing on a piece of 1" board over the joists to get over the problem of being on the wye? I'm assuming that the problem is just that the pipe is too high and hitting the plywood you are laying down.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
The pipe is indeed too high. The old tub was different in the way it sat on the joists. Problem I run into is the height of the floor under the tub vs. the rest of the bathroom vs. the adjacent hallway. Raising the floor is the last thing I want to do, but it may be the eventual solution. It would mean a transition piece is required at the door jamb between bathroom and hallway.

Is my proposed wye relocation OK, plumbing code-wise?

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I think I have the solution. The joists in this part of the room are low, and need to be shimmed to meet with the highest joist in the rest of the room. Plywood will go on top, so I will be bridging over this troublesome wye. Thanks for the responses.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The other solution is to not worry about the tub's foot because you will be suspending it by a stringer under the back ledge and the apron in the front.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
hj,

Good point! The offending foot is on the apron side, adjacent the drain/overflow, so the support will be coming from under the apron. Plus I plan to use a mortar base under the belly of the tub. Should be a pretty solid/stable installation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks