(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Flexable Gas Line or Black steel

Default Flexable Gas Line or Black steel

I am adding a stove in the basement and want to run a gas line for it. It is a relative straight shot but I will need to make about 4 90s to get there.

Should I run flexable gas line or black steel?

What items should I take into consideration?

-rap

If you know what you are doing, run the black steel...
    If you don't, hire a qualified plumber...
    Bad water installs leak... Bad gas installs blow up...

The absolute maximum length of a flex connector is 60" and some inspectors will only allow 48"/

While I'm not 100% on this I think places like NYC, LA, Chicago, don't allow flex lines at all. Maybe LA does because of the quakes.

Yes, California REQUIRES flexible connector on all gas appliances. Flex water lines on the WH, as well. And of course, 2 earthquake straps.

I expect that soon the legislature will mandate the seismic main gas valves. They shut off the main if shaken real good.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    The absolute maximum length of a flex connector is 60" and some inspectors will only allow 48"/
    What about that coated flexible stainless (I think) tubing? Would that be in the same category as a "flex connector"? I ask because I have a similar situation where using black pipe will be very difficult, and because I have seen that coated flex tubing used for long runs in new (InDiana) construction. But, I am likely going to use black anyway.

As long as you can get a good run to it... When running gas I ALWAYS check for leaks first with a pressure gauge I rigged up to a tee which I screw to one end of the pipe and a valve at the other end...air line adapter attached to a valve on the other side of the tee. I pump it up to at least 20 lbs then shut the valve and disconnect the air. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. There may be a very slight drop in pressure at first but it should not drop at all after that. When appliance is connected check all other fittings and connections with soapy water to look for bubbles. I use a generous amount of dishwashing liquid with water in a spray bottle to check for leaks. I would definitely use the flex for the last little bit of distance.
    Last edited by Randyj; 12-21-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo

I think he was reffering to something like wardflex.

General Contractor Carpenter toolaholic's Avatar

Default I run gas tight in tough spots

took a cert. class. Don't think they'll sell to homeowners.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Black iron is all I run......it will be there when the house burns down, intact most times.

Dogs can't chew through black iron like I've heard with that gas-tite or wardflex when ran straight into the gas valves on water heaters.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.