(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool for tightening plastic wingnuts

Default Tool for tightening plastic wingnuts

I've had it with plastic wingnuts that offer a "tool-less" way to install fill valves, anchor faucets to sinks, etc. My wrist is hurting from trying to tighten them by hand. At least with the old fashioned flat nut, I could put my plumbing socket over it and get it to tighten up easily in a few seconds, without straining my wrist.

Is there a small locknut tool that will work on these plastic wingnuts.

I've seen a tool from ridgid at home depot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Basin wrench?

Thanks for the tip. I heard of a plastic nut basin wrench, and I guess that's what they were talking about.

I bought a wrench that is weird for tightening nuts on kitchen sink baskets. On the other end is a hook for wing nuts. I never can find this stupid wrench when on the job so I still just grab my channel locks to give those funky plastic nuts that last little snugging up. For getting the supply line nuts on faucets and the nuts to hold the fixture to the sink I just use a basin wrench...if that's what you call that thing... got several of them collected over the years.
    Last edited by Randyj; 12-21-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Default the rigid tool

That ridgid tool HD sells is a keeper in my opinion. I've had mine for a while and use it almost daily. Nothing, in my opinion, beats the versatility of channel locks can't live without them.

Scott

I use that Ridgid tool constantly. It's great. A Plumber's Wedge to lay on and get me into the cabinet and that wrench make short work of most faucets.

Boy am I learning stuff here... what in the heck is a "Plumber's wedge"? Sounds like a foam pillow... my neck hurts like hell when I have to raise my head a couple of inches for a long period of time to be able to reach that last few inches while laying on my back... this old age crap SUX... I'm to the point that working overhead is bordering on impossible... totally retraining myself so I can get the work done! Finding new ways to do alot of things...thanks to getting OLD and worn out.

Default Working in style

The plumbers wedge helps the back, anyone have any suggestions for pain in the wrists and elbow from wrenching on pipes all day??

Scott

Here's another link for similar products plus a video I found.

http://bennettedesigngroup.com/safet...smen-products/

Video: http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/nw_indus...460329,00.html

PS: that video player is very temperamental. But if you can get it to play, it's a good video.
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 12-23-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TNPlumber
    The plumbers wedge helps the back, anyone have any suggestions for pain in the wrists and elbow from wrenching on pipes all day??

Scott
    I take one alleve every morning, Flexamin (has glucosamine & msm), and a one a day vitamin for active people.... that's just so I can keep on turning wrenches.....

There are wrist splints for helping keep your wrists in a neutral postion. Most *********s or Walmarts have them.

http://catspaw.com/

Try this link for a great product, it really helped me.

Default Cats Paw

I would try anything at this point to help my hands/wrists. They aren't too bad and really don't limit me so far, but I'm concerned about how they are gonna hold up.

Scott

The Cat's Paw not only helps for current pain, it strengthens your wrists for the future.