Joining ABS to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

BuickGN

Reaction score
Is this against code? My house is plumbed with ABS but I have access to a lot of PVC fittings/pipe and want to know if I can join them together. Which glue should I use if it is OK?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

In most areas you cannot join them directly, but must use a transition coupling such as a Mission, No-Hub type, coupling specific for the two materials. Once you have made the transition, you cannot change back again, however.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
PVC to ABS

The problem is, the so-called "glue" used for these materials iis not really glue. The work by chemical reaction that literally welds the pieces together. Since ABS and PVC have different compositions, the "glue" for one does not work on the other. That's why you would have to use a no-hub type connector.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

Most codes do not allow a transition glue, but our gas utility, which has high pressure mains, used it all the time to transition from the old ABS lines to their new PVC ones. But they do not have to answer to any code authority.

Last edited:

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

No.
The chemistry doesn't change--you cannot "glue" PVC to ABS.
Deb
The Pipewench

BuickGN

Reaction score
Well, I think I am going to just rip out the ABS where it goes into the CI drain and use a ty-seal with the PVC. I hear those are a bear to put in though. On the other end where I plan on keeping the ABS I will use some no-hub connectors.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Buick - you could join the pvc and abs using no glue at all - try a rubber coupling if you have your heart set on a quick connection... personally I like to stick with abs

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Abs/pvc

I know you have extra fittings laying around, but ABS and PVC fittings are not all that expensive. Why not just bite the bullet and get the fittings that match you system? I had a bunch of left over ABS fittings from a job I did, and I just put them on a table in my driveway like a mini yard sale. Sold some, tossed the rest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks