Water heater-wet spot

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Circular Wet spot directly underneath water heater in garage. (no pan) Seems to have slow leak into corner of bedroom. It's due date is up. Is it shot??
Just checking the obvious here....

thanks..

Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If there are no leaks on the top at the inlet and outlet and at the T&P the only other places are the thermostat and drain cock. If none there then the tank needs to be replaced. Look with a good light to be sure. You need to find a water trail leading to the floor or a drip.

What brand is it and how old is it?

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass, I checked and there are no leaks from any piping anywhere. The tank is flush with the ground and that is where leak (wet spot) is coming from.
It's a Reliant 501 5 year tank.
Was here when I moved in----February of 2001.

I check it after showering. Maybe it's my imagination but the tank is clearly making
a whoosh-wave sound. Laboring slightly.

It IS however next to washer which had some issues a couple years back.

Mike

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
For some reason I was thinking it was a gas heater.

Did you check the elements for leaks?

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cass, I am unable to closely inspect anything--just had a angioplasty thing done.
My trusted plumber friend is out of town. damn...

I'm getting it replaced. It's due and water is leaching up the wall...
What is *price range* for 40 gallon installed iyo. Brands??

Mike

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have no idea what the going rates are in your area. Get a couple of prices since the plumber you trust is gone.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you can wait for your regular plumber it looks like he can save you some $$$$$. If not get 2 more prices.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Unless you are by yourself, a 40 gallon heater is almost too small these days with the lower temperature recommended for safe use. $500 is closer to the correct price assuming it is not buried behind a water softener or furnace.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks..
This is a small leak. No panic.
All 3 guys quoted me 750-795 installed.
I'm waiting for my plumber friend on Tuesday...

Mike

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Lately I've been figuring $200 plus cost of materials. Last job I did came to $515 for a 50 gal replacement where a 30 gal was... in a mobile home. The rooter folks are always going to be much higher and give you a much better written warranty.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have an easily accessible electric 40 gallon. No corrision or whatever...
Thanks to this board--I know when I'm getting hosed.
Merry Xmas Ho-Ho-Ho

I guess when you use the "L WORD"-A Surcharge applies.

The L Word is of course L-E-A-K lol

Mike

Last edited:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
If 3 local plumbers quoted you similar numbers, you are not getting hosed. Every area has different prevailing rates. When I install a heater, I use all brass fittings, remove the plastic drain valve and replace it with a fullport ball valve with a hose adapter. Some plumbers or handymen can do it cheaper, but not better.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I waited and my guy quoted me 625. No haggling. Very happy with result. Pan-blanket as well.
Glad I waited. I told him when we met 2 years ago I would send him a very lucrative business/residential account. It paid off in spades with multiple remodels-same family. It's all good...

M.

V

vaplumber

Sounds like you did good with the pricing in your area. Considering pan/blanket you did well... And you know the man's work who did the job. At that age for that tank, replacing was the best choice. No use wasting money on trying to chase ghosts.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

The pan is a bonus if it was piped to a drain. The blanket can be a negative. Some heater manufacturers, especially for electric heaters, discourage their use. How much "better" can an RR written guarantee be? The only thing they could guarantee is the water heater and the manufacturer already warrantees that.

007plumber

plumbing contractor
Reaction score
007plumber

a water heater pan is worth its weight in gold! recently a relative of mine who owns a condo that he uses as a second home and rents out called me about replacing the water heater. It was located in an outside storage closet on patio. The inside wall was also the wall to the bedroom. The tank had a decent leak and ran under the shoe plate. It was not noticed until a renter called and said the floor was wet. By now the water had saturated the sub-floor,damaged the floor joist,mildew in the wall and termites for good measure. Items replaced : joist,subfloor,several studs,sheetrock,carpet and re-painted walls. Total price : $12,000 not including new water heater,which I installed for cost. Needless to say we went back with a pan and drain. Local code did not require pan because of location of heater but sometimes it's up to us to go beyond the minimum requirement to avoid such a catastrophe. Pan costs $15.00, brother-in-law for a plumber-PRICELESS!

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
007... I tend to jack them (electric WH) up on blocks above the pan to keep the bottom of the water heater from rusting out. It also gives the rats a better place to hide.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
007plumber said:
a water heater pan is worth its weight in gold! recently a relative of mine who owns a condo that he uses as a second home and rents out called me about replacing the water heater. It was located in an outside storage closet on patio. The inside wall was also the wall to the bedroom. The tank had a decent leak and ran under the shoe plate. It was not noticed until a renter called and said the floor was wet. By now the water had saturated the sub-floor,damaged the floor joist,mildew in the wall and termites for good measure. Items replaced : joist,subfloor,several studs,sheetrock,carpet and re-painted walls. Total price : $12,000 not including new water heater,which I installed for cost. Needless to say we went back with a pan and drain. Local code did not require pan because of location of heater but sometimes it's up to us to go beyond the minimum requirement to avoid such a catastrophe. Pan costs $15.00, brother-in-law for a plumber-PRICELESS!

That's an important post imo. I in fact already DO have some minor water damage because I previously had No pan. (see earlier post). That's why I insisted on one. I'm having mine hooked to an exterior pipe which will gravity drain down my driveway as I live on a hill in the event of a leak. (It won't be noticable...and behind washer-dryer units.)
Pans are cheap but price is not an issue in my tiny mind. Hell...I'd pay 200 bucks for one if I had to.

Think about it--40 gallons of rushing 120 degree hot water can easily be a small Disaster!

No problem with garage rats--or anything else uninvited for that matter. I have 2 fearless pitbulls.
Their motto: "Go ahead-make my day" LOL :D

Mike

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have about a half cup of water in my pan from the new tank. My guy has to come back to reconnect the swamp cooler valve and wrap the blanket-so It's no big deal but I'm curious....

This is a Bradford White.
Why is it that you have to decode manuals to figure out how long the tank is guaranteed for..? Im still not sure. It's 6 or 10.

M.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks