(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water heater-wet spot

Default heater

The pan is a bonus if it was piped to a drain. The blanket can be a negative. Some heater manufacturers, especially for electric heaters, discourage their use. How much "better" can an RR written guarantee be? The only thing they could guarantee is the water heater and the manufacturer already warrantees that.

Default 007plumber

a water heater pan is worth its weight in gold! recently a relative of mine who owns a condo that he uses as a second home and rents out called me about replacing the water heater. It was located in an outside storage closet on patio. The inside wall was also the wall to the bedroom. The tank had a decent leak and ran under the shoe plate. It was not noticed until a renter called and said the floor was wet. By now the water had saturated the sub-floor,damaged the floor joist,mildew in the wall and termites for good measure. Items replaced : joist,subfloor,several studs,sheetrock,carpet and re-painted walls. Total price : $12,000 not including new water heater,which I installed for cost. Needless to say we went back with a pan and drain. Local code did not require pan because of location of heater but sometimes it's up to us to go beyond the minimum requirement to avoid such a catastrophe. Pan costs $15.00, brother-in-law for a plumber-PRICELESS!

007... I tend to jack them (electric WH) up on blocks above the pan to keep the bottom of the water heater from rusting out. It also gives the rats a better place to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by 007plumber
    a water heater pan is worth its weight in gold! recently a relative of mine who owns a condo that he uses as a second home and rents out called me about replacing the water heater. It was located in an outside storage closet on patio. The inside wall was also the wall to the bedroom. The tank had a decent leak and ran under the shoe plate. It was not noticed until a renter called and said the floor was wet. By now the water had saturated the sub-floor,damaged the floor joist,mildew in the wall and termites for good measure. Items replaced : joist,subfloor,several studs,sheetrock,carpet and re-painted walls. Total price : $12,000 not including new water heater,which I installed for cost. Needless to say we went back with a pan and drain. Local code did not require pan because of location of heater but sometimes it's up to us to go beyond the minimum requirement to avoid such a catastrophe. Pan costs $15.00, brother-in-law for a plumber-PRICELESS!
    That's an important post imo. I in fact already DO have some minor water damage because I previously had No pan. (see earlier post). That's why I insisted on one. I'm having mine hooked to an exterior pipe which will gravity drain down my driveway as I live on a hill in the event of a leak. (It won't be noticable...and behind washer-dryer units.)
    Pans are cheap but price is not an issue in my tiny mind. Hell...I'd pay 200 bucks for one if I had to.

Think about it--40 gallons of rushing 120 degree hot water can easily be a small Disaster!

No problem with garage rats--or anything else uninvited for that matter. I have 2 fearless pitbulls.
    Their motto: "Go ahead-make my day" LOL

Mike
    Last edited by Mike50; 12-29-2006 at 06:17 AM.

For some reason I have about a half cup of water in my pan from the new tank. My guy has to come back to reconnect the swamp cooler valve and wrap the blanket-so It's no big deal but I'm curious....

This is a Bradford White.
    Why is it that you have to decode manuals to figure out how long the tank is guaranteed for..? Im still not sure. It's 6 or 10.

M.