Toilet Flange too High

Users who are viewing this thread

TrailRunner

Reaction score
I put in a new tile floor and my toilet flange is too high. The top of the flange is about 3/4" above the floor and I'm looking for the right way to correct.

I had one plumber who said they would cut the cast iron at the stack and run PVC over and up to the toilet, and attach a plastic flange.

I do have a Sawzall, so I could cut the cast iron. Is that a good idea?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

Prashster

Reaction score
Options in order of increasing 'properness':

1) put the toilet on a platform
2) raise the whole floor
3) lower the flange (not sure why he's counselling to replace anything more than the flange down to the closet/90 bend...)

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt you get very far with sawzall. Probably following the plumber's advice is the best way to go. Messing with the cast iron is labor intensive and you're probably going to break it trying to knock off the 3/4"...PITA...

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I'm not a pro plumber, but I agree with your plumber and Randy.
I've had to raise my two bathroom toilet flanges due to installing tile, and fortunately, I had black plastic ABS drain pipe to work with.
The flange should sit flush on top of and be bolted to the finished floor level with only the thickness of the flange above finished floor level.
Good Luck!
Mike

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Use snap cutter...Cut it off 2-6" from the tee and replace that sucka with no-hub and PVC. Cheaper, easier, and alot more fun!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
unless your handy with tools let the plumber do it. If you can cut the cast iron and know how to work with PVC then you can do it. You must cut the cast iron square and about 6-8" from the stack / hub. Attach a banded coupling to the cast iron and run to the floor with your PVC. It is not difficult. You can always try and if you can't do it then call the plumber back. Just know some plumbers don't like finishing jobs people start and may still charge the same price.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Closet flange too high

Pound the flange down, taking care not to break it. Reattach it to the subfloor with brass or stainless screws. Recaulk the lead joint. Take a mini grinder and grind down the 1/2" excess pipe. Caution, have a shop vac handy so you can pause occasionally and suck up the metal shavings, otherwise you'll have a hell of a mess. And wear goggles. If any of these steps are beyond you, call a plumber to do all of them.

DIY

Reaction score
The plumber who replaced part of my cast iron stack with a PVC sani T used a big ratchet type chain cutter. It took him all of 30-40 minutes, or less to do the whole job. Stack cut,PVC sani T installed job done. It paid to have a plumber do this in this case. The stack was cut in the right places. If the stack is not cut square or in the right places problems can and may surface down the road..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks