Jacuzzi Tub Pre-intallation testing ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dino

Reaction score
I was reading through the Jacuzzi installation instructions on-line prior to picking up the tub just to make sure a have all my bases covered and have no surprises. I don't know if installers in the real world actually read and follow these documents to a "T", but I came across the folowing note:

"All bath units are factory tested for proper operation and watertight connections prior to shipping. NOTE: Prior to installation, the bath must be filled with water and operated to check for leaks that may have resulted from shipping damage or mishandling. Jacuzzi Whirlpool Bath is not responsible for any defectthat could have been discovered, repaired or avoided by following this inspection and testing proceedure."

Ok, seems prudent check to make sure nothing leeks, but is this really done? What about the potential damage done by filling a tub that may not be properly supported? Can I simply set the tub on my not exactly level driveway and fill'er up? Temporarily jerry-rig an old extension cord so that I can plug it in?

IS THIS NORMALLY DONE?
I guess if there is a problem, it sure would be easier to just toss it back in the 'ol 240 Wagon and drive it right on back to Lowes than to have to extract it from the installed confines of the bathroom!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

It is a CYA paragraph that would be difficult to perform until the drain fitting is installed on the tub, and that is something that is easier to configure once the tub is set. So, no, it is probably seldom, if ever, done. At least by professional installers. The only downside is that the water pipes would have to be disconnected if there were a leak and the tub returned. But since Jacuzzi mounts the faucets at the factory, there would not be any "unauthorized" holes in it.

EGL

Reaction score
I recently installed a Jacuzzi tub (the 32" x 60" with apron) in the bath I'm remodelling. I did fill it up, but only after it was set in place and the drain hooked up (this was before any tile went up on the wall). And I will say that there are 4 hand-tightened connections (2 at the pump and 2 at the optional heater connection) and that all 4 were loose and needed to be re-tightened. So be sure to check those before you run any water through it.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Back in the spring we plumbed 12 apartments with whirlpool baths/jacuzzis. At least half had leaks in the plumbing which only required tightening. The drains were a bit more difficult to install than in regular tubs. As I remember we had to add extensions and be careful not to stress the drain in any direction or the drain would leak. All required plumber's putty around the flange of the drain to prevent leaking.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I installed a Kohler whirlpool bath, I don't recall reading anything about pre-testing.
I installed mine, and before any drywall or anything else went into the room I wired it up, finished the plumbing and tested it out. I ran a garden hose to the tub and filled it to the top. I even made sure the overflow drain was working .Fortunately, nothing leaked and everything worked as it should.
I suggest you visually inspect the jacuzzi plumbing, and put your hands on each fitting, feel for problems, try to turn things that should be at least hand tight. Installing a whirlpool bath is difficult, they are heavy, and have things that can be broken. It is more than a one man/woman job, two is good, three is nice. YOu want to move that tub in nice and slow and try not bang the plumbing, or grab the plumbing.
Everything under and behind the tub will be out of reach once it is in, so make sure the floor, plumbing and wiring is adequte before final fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks