Moen kitchen faucet woes

Users who are viewing this thread

Dawn Palacios

Reaction score
My husband recently replaced the cartridge in our single-sprayer Moen kitchen faucet because it was dripping. He bought the cheaper version from Home Depot. At first, I noticed the water flow was a bit reduced, but after about 4 weeks, suddenly, the pressure is so low the sprayer won't even engage. We've talked to my brother, who is a plumber, and he's walked us through several trouble-shooting scenarios, but to no avail. We even bought another cartridge (the Moen brand), but it has made no difference.

We still have virtually zero pressure (both hot and cold).

I refuse to replace this 3-year old $300 dollar faucet. Any suggestions?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't think it's the cartridge. Take the spout off and tale a good look at the spray diverter.

Dawn Palacios

Reaction score
thanks...but

My husband already removed the entire spout, and the water flow coming out of the stainless steal water line (without the head) is still very low.

It's almost as if the water coming into the sink (from the Maniblock system) is not sufficient, but both hot and cold (two different hoses coming in) are low. (so we're thinking that can't be the problem)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some faucets have screen strainers on their input to keep gunk out of the valve. THey could be clogged up. You might have to remove the supply lines and check. All it may need is a good cleaning. Those connections don't need any teflon tape or pipe dope, but if you use some, it can get in the way, too. At the worst, once you have the hoses off the shutoff valves, stick a bucket or pan under there, turn them on, and see what volume you get out. It could also be the shutoff valve has some crud in it as well. If they weren't replaced when you replaced the faucet, they likely have washers in them and those could have failed and are blocking the valves.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The connection beween the hose and the faucet body probably has some debris caught in it. The only way the problem could be with the cartridge would be if it had debris in it, and that would have nothing to do with whether it was a cheap one or the OEM version.

Dawn Palacios

Reaction score
Eureka!!!!

We finally found the problem! It seems an O-ring from the original cartridge had somehow dislodged and worked its way into the line feeding the sprayer hose. My husband had removed the spray hose from the base of the faucet and tried to blow into it. He could tell there was an obstruction, so he separated the plastic locking clip and found the old 0-ring lodged in there.

Once he removed it, we had full water pressure. Now I can't wait to do the dishes.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks