3/4 bath remodel in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

CCbrands1

Reaction score
Drain rough in for a 1/2 bath in basement.
1 1/2" vent at the vanity drain line.
Toilet drain is upstream of the vent.
Drains beneath concrete.
I want to add a shower into the mix.

I plan to install a 3 x 2 wye after the vent for the vanity drain line.
Is it ok to run the shower drain line in this way?
Or should it be tapped in between the vent and the toilet?

Code references would be great, but general comments on how either way would effect drainage would also be good.

thanks

CCbrands1

Reaction score
so to elaborate, can I place my 3 x 2 wye in the spot in the attatched diagram?

Prashster

Reaction score
My nonpro opinion is that it will work. I'd also run run a shower vent off the shower branch drain b4 it hits the main line. This means running the shower branch drain under a wall b4 it hits the main drain.

Toilet venting confounds me. I know it's advisable for each fixture to have it's own vent, but I know there are exceptions and the wet vent you have might be permissible for the toilet. I'd check though.

That's just me, though.

Also, the 'tee' that connects the sink vent to the main line should be a wye, and the 'tee' that connects the sink trap arm to the vent/drain should be a sanitary tee or better.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
distant? close?

--> Distances determine whether a vent can be used for two fixtures or only one.
ccbrands1 said:
1 1/2" vent at the vanity drain line.
Toilet drain is upstream of the vent.
so far so good, all is normal. Toilets are always the farthest upstream, and the first vent in the system is the toilet's vent.
ccbrands1 said:
Drains beneath concrete.
not sure what this means precisely.
ccbrands1 said:
I plan to install a 3 x 2 wye after the vent for the vanity drain line.
Is it ok to run the shower drain line in this way?
Or should it be tapped in between the vent and the toilet?
perfectly normal to do it this way. Totally not good to do it the opposite way that you described, i.e. between the vent and the toilet.

The big unanswered questions are distances. This is important; it determines whether a vent can be used for two fixtures or only one.

david

CCbrands1

Reaction score
sorry...i meant that the drains are underneath concrete...you probably assumed this considering it is in a basement

toilet drain is about 2 - 3 feet from vent

shower drain is about 4 - 5 feet from where it will tap into the main drain line.

shower drain tap on main line can be within 1 foot of the vent if needed.

please advise if these distances would be sufficient.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks