(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dripping Kohler Forte K-10272-4CP

Default Dripping Kohler Forte K-10272-4CP

I just installed a Kohler Forte K-10272-4CP. It is an 8" spread faucet with separate cold and hot controls. The hot side has a slow drip. I'm assuming it is a cartridge that needs to be replaced. However, I have no idea how to get into the valve to get to the cartridge. There is no screw to remove the handle. I have attached a picture of the faucet and a link to the diagram of the faucet. Page six of the manual shows a detailed view of the valve.
    Thanks for any suggestions that you can offer.
    http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1015933_5.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Leo

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It looks like you need to remove the whole valve, probably unscrew the valve sleeve then pluck out the valve body.

The warranty also says they'll send you a new one for free. My guess is that it should come with instructions. WHy don't you wait until then? Ask questions if they aren't clear.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I think you're right. It seems like the whole valve has to be removed. I will go through the warranty process to get the parts I need.

It's obviously disappointing to have a brand new fixture leak. I have 3 other Kohler faucets in the house and have had no problems so far. Of course I used silicone under the valve instead of plumber's putty. Should be interesting. Also, the leaking valve (hot side) is sandwiched between the vanity wall and the spout (also siliconed). Oh well.....

Thanks for your reply.
    Leo

The cone part of the handle unscrews from the LOWEST chrome escusion .
    Meaning :
    Just below the 90 degree wing of the handle is the cone I refer to , at the bottom of that you will see a very small seam about 3/8" above the sink. That is were it seperates. Try to use NO TOOLS 'cause it will scratch.

Once you unscrew that top bonnet you can see the stem.

Try turning the faucet on and off VERY FAST a few times before anything else ,, sounds like something is lodged and this MIGHT clear it.

(This is why you always want to grease a new faucet)

Cal

I would suggest you take both sides apart and lube them so in the future you will be able to take them apart a lot easier. I would get some silicone plumbers grease and use it.

Default faucet

It is a mating ceramic seat, so nothing will make it seal "tighter". Once it starts dripping it will always drip.

I was able to unscrew the chrome bonnet to get to the stem. I did it on both sides just to see if I could. Now I need to get a new cartridge from Kohler.
    Thank you for that! It saved me a big headache.

I tried turning the water on and off quickly, still leaks. I'm sure that works, but not in my case. I'll try to get some plumber's grease on the threads before I button it up.

Thanks again for all the info.
    Leo

Default I thought I was moving right along, but..........

I determined that the hot side is the one leaking. I tried removing the cartridge using a spark plug socket on a 3/8" socket handle. It fit the nut perfectly. The problem, I could not loosen the cartridge. It was very tight. As I was turning the wrench, the whole valve body started to move. I tried holding a wrench on the bottom, but it was difficult since I was working by myself.

First, its it a typical turn left, counterclockwise, to loosen? It just wouldn't budge.
    Also, am I doing something wrong? Should I just keep applying pressure until it breaks free or will I do damage to the unit if I use too much force?
    Thank you.
    Leo

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It could be a left-handed thread. You might want to check with the manufacturer. One side could be LH and the otherRH.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I actually did try turning it both ways and it wouldn't move. However, I did not want to force it in either direction. At least not until I know for sure which way to turn it. I will check with the manufacturer.
    Thanks.
    Leo

turn it counter clockwise to remove it. Reach under the counter and grab the valve body with pump pliers to hold back and remove the stem with the socket. It will break loose.

Default stem

It is NOT a left hand thread. The only place they EVER use a left hand thread is on the actual stem itself, not the bonnet it goes into. You have to hold the bottom of the valve with a wrench or pliers while you unscrew the top. It is almost impossible to damage that part by pulling too hard.