water heater trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

kbailey45us

Reaction score
My water heater has began to leak water. It has a drain pan but the pan isn't routed outside (should it be?). The water heater is only about three years old. My water has always been extremely hot so when this happened I turned both heating elements down in case the safety valve was releasing water. The bottom element was turned all the way up with the top element about half way. I put both of them about one step above the low set point. I waited a few hours and then checked and it was leaking out of the pan some still. Finally I drained the pan as well as I could and am measuring the level of water in the pan to see if it's still leaking. Should I give it a few days to see if the temperature adjustment helps or is that something that wouldn't even affect it. Any help as to if I need a new one or what to look for is appreciated. Money is rather tight this time of year and if there is a way I can get out of buying a new one it would be great. Again, any help is appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to get your flashlight and your Dick Tracy hat and find out exactly where the leak is coming from. If it is the TP, that is one issue. If it is a fitting, or a tank leak, you need to identify the source.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

If it is leaking, and if it is three years old, and if the manufacturer is still in business, then the heater is under warranty and will be replaced by the manufacturer. You have to pay for its installation. It either leaks from the safety valve or the tank. Put a glass under the safety valve to catch any water from the pipe and if the pan still gets water in it then it is the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks