How do plumbers decide on what to charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I do think I sold my customer on adding clean outs after he paid me to pull to toilets to snake the lines to the septic tank.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If I worked all day every day I'd probably make as much as Cookum's.... untill all the bills come due for insurance, taxes, new tools, repairs to vehicles....yadda, yadda, yadda...

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie, how do you know what I make? I took a pay cut to start my business. I make less than I did as a 4th year apprentice.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie, all plumbers make less than they charge. We couldn't pay ourselves what we charge the customer. I charge 90 an hour but sure as hell don't make it. I pay myself 25 an hour, while journey scale in my local is 37.50 an hour.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Obviously you are going to live forever! But I think you might find a hubby on Yahoo personals tho'....... Hey...I do wish what I charge were ALL PROFIT! And I didn't have to report it on my income taxes! I'm lucky if I get to keep 1/2 of it even if I only get 1 call a week!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I help people when I can and a lot of it is based on their attatude.

Case and point I had a new customer call with a stoppage. I went a guessed 1-2 hours max. of work. 3" PVC C/O in finished basement utility room under slab running 35'. I quoted 150.00 for the first hour. I normaly don't charge extra if it goes into the 2nd hour. The job took 2 men almost 7 man hours and still needed to be jetted. When finished I explained all that was needed about the job and I asked for an additional $30.00 because of the unusual circumstances and they were first time customer and wanted another steady customer. Husband and wife standing in front of me. Husband looks at me and says I have no more money as he hands me the check. I look at him and asked "so your are flat broke and have no more money?" They both stare at me. Then the wife says but we have already written the check!. I looked at both of them and said O.K. never mind about the $30.00. I gathered up the rest of my tools and on the way out explaned that the going rate was $175-225.00 for 1-2 hours and they needed to call someone else and not me in the future as I walked out of the beautiful $600,000.00 home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
charge

The first rule that you broke was to quote a price for a sewer job in the first place without a bunch of caveats to cover just that possibility. The second one was to make sure they knew that the price was going to change as soon as the first, or even second, hour had passed. Then to charge $30.00 for an additional six hours for two men? Incredible.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
On the other end of the spectrum is the guy who I replaced the thermocouple in his heater. It took all of 15 minutes. I charged him $100.00 and he handed me an extra $10.00.

worsnup

plumbing contractor
Reaction score
how plumbers figure their price for service/repair

I just had my first plumber come on Saturday (here in NJ) to reduce a gas pipe so I can push my new gas range all the way back against the wall. He charged $45 for a site visit. After he assessed it, he charged $319, and he fixed the pipe in about 20-30 minutes. My total with tax came out to almost $400.

How do plumbers decide on how much to charge? I don't want to say I was gouged, but it was pretty expensive. Next time I call for a plumber, is it possible to get an estimate over the phone, or some rate? I didn't ask, figuring they wouldn't tell me. Do plumbers who belong to Better Business Bureau cost more?

Thanks!
you have two basic methods one is time and material the other is flat rate.
time and material is just what it says
flat rate is lump sum
included in the price is the time for travel time to repair and typically the (new) cost of item to be repaired worst case just install new
the repair you mentioned i performed just last week
it was an addition to some work i was already performing at their home
it added apx $40 dollars to there bill
sorry you got hosed
Shane T. Worsnup

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Basically they figure the next truck payment and what

the grocery bill is for feeding

five teenage boys for a week and that is what they charge

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I only quote jobs if someone asks for a quote. I much prefer to estimate jobs and work for time and material.

However if I'm doing a larger job for a contractor they are usually quoted jobs, but then again there isn't usually too many suprises.

The going rate for a plumber in my area is $75/hr so that's what I charge.

But yes this is not a cheap business to be in. Vehicle costs, gas costs, liability insurance, gas contracting insurance, payroll... the list goes on.

If I didn't charge what I charge I'd be out of business because when yo'ure in business EVERYTHING costs you money.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Quoted jobs ALWAYS have a "fudge factor" to accomodate "surprises". I think I charged $75.00 about ten years ago, but it might be earlier than that. My records don't go back that far. How much is $75.00 Canadian worth these days?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Quoted jobs ALWAYS have a "fudge factor" to accomodate "surprises". I think I charged $75.00 about ten years ago, but it might be earlier than that. My records don't go back that far. How much is $75.00 Canadian worth these days?

Depends on the day!! These days it's about on par with the USD, but it may be down a bit now. Maybe 94 cents to the dollar. But I also live in an area where the cost of living isn't extremely high.

Joe Six Pack

Reaction score
quote; You don't want to be unfriendly here, everyone's got a gun.

And all it takes is a frozen over lake, and a stick of dynamite to make a hole in it, and then the evidence is gone, at least still Spring or Summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Since most of these posts are from 2006, when you could get 150$ to change a toilet flapper, and a tip, now that we are in a classic depression, I'll just bet you guys are running on a sliding scale and answering the phone from the barca-lounger in front of a TV show. And many of you had your big beast truck repo'ed and plumb from the family van now.

Here, you can buy a house on 5 acres for what you would have charged to just plumb it up new in 2006.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pizza Hut cut their price for all pizzas to $10.00. Then other companies did the same to compete. People then began to wonder WHY pizzas cost $15.00+ before if they can sell them for $10 and still make money. It will be very hard to raise their prices again. The same with plumbers. My price has NOT gone down regardless of the economy, or what others charge, and I only have ONE price regardless of who the customer is.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
We get $ 197.50 to change that flapper now. Traded the E150's for Sprinters two years ago, all 13 of them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks