Any suggestions and ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

chubyball

Reaction score
I just riff off my old bathroom and plan to replace a new bathtub includes with shower and my questions are:
should I buy a Kohler brand or Whirlpool one?
How difficult to install a non-metal tub since I removed the old one?
Do I need to lay cement underneath the tub prevent from rocking?
Anymore suggestions what need to be replaced from this pics?

Attachments

• bathroom1.JPG
    bathroom1.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,005

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
#1 I would replace the tub / shower valve and waste and overflow also check the trap. You may need to replace it any way depending on where it falls from the new tub.

#2 Replace the toilet and vanity stops with nice 1/4 turn stops.

I like the Sterling line of tubs and wall sets.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
CASS... would you use the plastic/PVC waste & traps? Or go with brass replacements? Just wondering what other plumbers prefer......

chubyball

Reaction score
I am still wonder how can I remove the shower valve where the cross section at. Does it has to be un-solder?

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
If you are removing the shower valve, and not going to install a new one, just cut out everything with a tubing cutter or reciprocating saw. Then solder caps on the lines, including the vent line.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You will need to cut the tubing with a tubing cutter then solder the new valve in. I would use Sch 40 PVC on the tub trap and regular plastic traps under the sink, chrome plated traps where / if anything was exposed.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
I agree with the above with just one other item...
When buying the PVC, try to buy the DWV pipe and not the pressure (fittings as well - the DWV is easier to cut and cheaper...

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I recently bought a Kohler whirlpool bath, I am happy with the quality and mechanical operation. I am a pick-up and delivery trucker and visit alot of plumbing supply stores, I am seeing alot of Kohler being moved these days. They are very popular.
HOWEVER! I am unhappy about the Kohler hardware, faucets etc. They look great and work well, but Kohler is difficult to install, they use unorthodox hardware. I like price pfeister and delta , etc, for my faucets and such.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
PS... You better have your wits about you! Your bathroom looks like mine did one year ago. I stripped everything out, and started from scratch. I am worried that you may get depressed and/or overwhelmed, confused, anxious about what you are trying to do.
I am a pretty good DIYer, I thought I could breeze right thru this project, I was wrong.
Here are my mistakes.
1 I got married, the wife has been complaining and threatening since I tore the bathroom up.
2 I did not plan!!!!!!!
You should have picked all the hardware and fixtures out before you started.
It can take weeks, if not months to get certain items, the standard crap sold in the big box stores isn't great quality, and if you want anything a little better, bigger, different color, etc. it always takes 6 weeks to get.
3.I didn't think it would cost me much, since I am doing it myself...WRONG!
All this stuff is expensive, Bathtub, $1800, toilet $400, swanstone sink and tub surround, $2500, kohler sink and bathtub spouts faucets and etc. hundreds of dollars, Vanity and medicine cabinet $1600. Linoleum floor 150 dollars, drywall, spackle, primer, paints, etc, 200 dollars.
4. Unexpected problems....wiring was poor, floor wasn't level, ventilation fan had mouse damage nests in ductwork,
On and ON and ON, I am still trying to figure this out...Today is planning on what types of lighting to use.
If you get bogged down, don't be afraid to call a pro, or get some good friends involved...Bathrooms can be difficult!

BennyBaby

Reaction score
Still thinking..You'll purchase a fiberglass tub that WILL need support underneath. Make sure the studs are in the right place and plumb, the tub will basically be screwed to the studs after you level it.
A good plan might be: line-up the tub in position, shim as required to get a good level, then make marks on the studs where the top of the bathtub flange should permanently rest. Then pull the tub back, and lay a bed of structo-lite gypsum mortar. The mortar need not be neat and tidy, you wont see it, it does have to completely support the bottom of the tub.Heavy bodies in and out of the tub can flex and crack fiberglass over time, the mortar bed prevents this and gives you a rock-solid feel under your feet when showering. Plumbing supply store all have some kind of structo-lite, it mixes with water and sets very fast.
The tub should go in first, it is very important that all required plumbing and electtrical is finished, and make sure you are happy with the quality of your floor first. Once the tub is in...it is iN. Protect the tub afterwards, because you will scratch it up as you drywall and paint, etc.

chubyball

Reaction score
Hi Benny,

Thanks for the advice, I am still in planing state. But I don't have problem with wife threaten me, thanks god. I am wondered what kind of bathtub you purchased and where that cost $1800. I am looking for a showertub comes in 2 pieces and the last time I look at ********* and Lowes, they don't seem to have what I like. Where did you get your showertub, benny? Thanks.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
I went all out on the bathtub...It is a Mariposa 66" Whirlpool by Kohler. I had to knock out a wall, and make a new wall 6 inches away to install this new longer tub. Of course I had to pull wires to the tub pump, and move the drain and supply back as well.
The kohler website has lots to offer, start browsing there...I bought my tub at home depot. HD has lots to offer if you can get any help from the customer service people.
I found the tub by cruising bathroom and kitchen remodeling showrooms in my area. I also have a super home depot near me, that has alot of nice displays. I did not buy this tub without getting inside it, I found one in a showroom in Trenton NJ, and decided I liked that model..then I ran to HD to order it.
Kohler does have some nice standard tub/shower units...walls included.
Beware of buying a tub if it is larger than the standard 30x60 inch format. My 36 x66 has caused me alot of extra hassles. But I.m tall and never liked the 30x60's

chubyball

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a 2 or 3 pieces tub, size 60x32x 60 or 66.
I think this way I will be able to fit all these through all my doors.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

I am sure the showroom in Trenton is happy to have spent tens of thousands of dollars on a showroom so you could see and try what you want before buying it at HD. You might be one person who I would have been happy to see get the typcial HD "defective" item.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Can't help it... gotta tell this one... Was in the feed store/pet shop business.. gave away coupons at the local school halloween carnival for "2 free goldfish"... woman came in... said wait.. I've got to go to WALMART to buy a bowl!... almost ended it for me... I told her...GET YOUR GOLDFISH THERE TOO!

BennyBaby

Reaction score
Hj...businesses come and go..I could care less about that supplier in trenton.
They also have to compete with the big box stores, that is their problem, not mine, I didn't create it.
That store didn't suffer either, I didn't by the tub from them but spent about 3200 dollars on swanstone panels/trim and kohler hardware.
What is worse..everyone is telling me I got ripped-off and paid too much.

chubyball

Reaction score
Can anyone help me to make decision on installing Kohler tub with jet and without jets, which one would be more difficut? I am still debating which one to install in this bathtub, also want to enjoy the tub before put this home on sale down the road. Is it a good investment if I install a jet tub? Thanks for any inputs.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As for how it affects resale value I'd ask someone in the real estate business. Around here it would be iffy. I do know that swimming pools actually make houses harder to sell in this area. As for which is worth your time and efforts...that depends on how much money and labor and how good you are at doing it. If you want "easy" get the simplest set up. If you want "nice" get what you can handle... none of it is really easy and I've never seen a "plug'n play" bathroom set up.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I think jets are a more personal type of fixture and will not increase the resale value. I don't know many people that would buy a house because it had a jet tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks