Help! Glued down laminate tiles

Users who are viewing this thread

dkpbxman

Reaction score
looked a lot like them...

I had to take up a bunch of VAT 12 by 12 tiles that looked a lot like them in my laundry room and as the house was built in 1971 I was worried about possible asbestos problems. So I wanted to take the tiles up without breaking them apart and creating airborne particles if possible. What I found worked best was to cover the tile being worked on with tin foil and then heat the area with an ordinary iron. After a few minutes I worked up a corner and using a hard edged "gum scraper" I was then able to force up the rest of the tile in one piece by pushing the scraper under the tile.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep...basically the same thing I posted about above using a propane torch. There is actually a gizmo you can rent which is on wheels, has a torch and scraper attached for removing glued down flooring.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you have dry ice available, it works great. Have to let it sit a couple of minutes and the tile will pop off with a scraper.

BennyBaby

Reaction score
You need more than a hair dryer. I used a craftsman (sears) heatgun on tiles like that recently. Go to sears and check it out, this heatgun is great for removing tiles, it softens vinyl tiles and glue, and they become easy too scrape up. It is good for removing old paint,It will start a fire, be careful!
It is good for heatshrink tubing as well..if you do any electrical splicing.
We had glue left on our concrete floor, we left it there, and then put down a ceramic floor over the old glue and concrete..so far so good.

wes-in-nc

Reaction score
I just took up a kitchen and dinning room full of this type flooring. I used a hoe-looking tool. It looks like a regular garden hoe but instead of the end making a 90% turn, Its flat. It was about $10 at the local hardware. Once you get an area started, it really goes pretty good. I did the job in about 30 minutes. The left over glue would almost pull your shoes off your feet. Good Luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks