replacing surround w/std tub/tile maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I seriously question the structural strength of that wall. If it is not stable it can bow in or out and break the bond to the tiles and grout. You MUST have a good solid foundation for tile if you want it to stay there.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well said. Agree, scary wall description

Glad someone else said it first. :D

I'd like to see a picture and a drawing. I find it hard to believe that a single layer of OSB is just hanging in mid air... or even two layers nailed together. Where are the closest supports? Supports like studs or the like. Good to know.

david

lkrides

Reaction score
I beleieve that OSB board on the rear interior wall is attached to the exterior walls. I can see nails that were nailed from the outside going thru the OSB rear wall and 2x2's on each end of the 5' span. And the OSB wall is nearly parallel to a 2 x 4 that is exposed, which makes me think that it is a double wall.

I have plenty of pics and would love to post them, but I am new around here and need instruction.

Due to the weird wall setup, I have told the wife that we probably have to install another surround instead of tile.

Thank you all, Merry Christmas.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
how to tell?

the last four are the clearest showing why it is hard to tell what is behind the OSB. They are all good pictures.

Two ideas. ONE thing i know will produce a meaningful result is to use your big tape measure, to measure the distance from the outside of the exterior wall, from a window in an adjoining room, right thru to the corridor, Then with a little parallel line, you measure the distance back to that OSB panel. THAT will tell you how thick the exterior bathroom wall is behind your OSB.

i know you have a tape measure 'cuz i saw it in the last picture. :)

the second idea is that you tap a lot on the OSB to hear different sounds to get a feel for what is behind it in different places. Best done when no-one is home, since "other people" can get exasperated when one needs to make noise just to diagnose things.

david

lkrides

Reaction score
Thanks for the measuring idea. I was thinking of carefully (really carefully) drilling a small hole through the first layer. I've done the tap and there is no sound difference anywhere on that wall. Assuming I confirm it is a double wall, the interior portion is only suported by 2x2's on each end, so I would still have the challenge of mounting some sort of spacer material to compensate for the tub flange. Harbibacker has to be mounted with screws right? I would have to use screws that only penetrate 1 1/4" (assuming both walls are 3/4"). Does the tile ready waterproof membrane attach with chemicals only?

Last edited:

lkrides

Reaction score
Double osb boards confirmed! I used drill bits and a holesaw, to take a chunk out of the interior board. The interior board is 5/8", impossible to tell how thick the exterior board is. The only visible support between the two boards are 2x2's on both ends. So if the wife still wants tile I beleive I am o.k. with just picking the right screw length to go through the backer, vapor barrier and 1 1/2 boards.

Gonna pickup my tub tomorrow.

Question related to drain....when you have to cut it to replace it, do you typically use some flexible piping to rejoin it? Things are really tight in the drain pipe area.

I am so appreciative of this forum and you guys! (and gals?).

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've NEVER used the flex stuff on drains... PITA if you ever have to snake it out.

JCH

Reaction score

TedL

Reaction score
lkrides said:
One interesting thing he mentioned is that I don’t have to do a mortar base for the Americast tub, but when you use a Vikrell or acrylic tub, he just puts down sheetrock mud as a base. What do you think of that?

If he uses joint compound, he's doing something that Sterling's installation instructions specifically say not to.

I'm in the middle of installing a Vikrell tub/wall surround in our new (to us) house...literally. I set the tub in the concrete yesterday, and will finish up tomorrow or Sat. I felt it offered the best combo of tub depth with armrests, shelves on surround, etc, along with ease of installation and positive comments from plumbers here.

Now for some swimming against the tide.........
I installed 3 Americast Princetons; one in my mother's condo and two in my own house. She used if from 98 'til she moved in late '04. My house, one installed in '97 and the other in '99. We moved a few months ago.

All three were in excellent condition when they were left behind. I liked the solid feel and light weight, one man installation I'd install one again, it it otherwise met my requirements for the installation(e.g., tiling the walls).

lkrides

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice about the wires, that had not occured to me.

I am not using a Sterling tub, I went with a Lasco. I'll rechceck their instructions regarding support, but i theink their o.k. with a mud support base.

Thank you

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks