Bathroom Plumbing Layout

Users who are viewing this thread

Blaze

Reaction score
I am putting in a shower in our second story bathroom and am wondering if this is a sufficient method of draining and venting.

Shower drain to 2" p-trap, then out to 3" horizontal waste line (distance from p-trap to waste line is 4-5 inches). The connector at the 3" waste line is a sani T connector (does it need to be a wye connector?). The flow of waste will be to the right down the 3" horizontal waste line. There is a 2" vent stack about 12 inches to the left of where the shower meets the waste line that is also used to vent the toilet. Do I require an additional vent or will that one work?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark

Plumbing.jpg

student1

Reaction score
You can't wet-vent a fixture (shower) downstream from a WC. The 3" vent changes from vent to drain where the sink connects.

The sink and the WC are "deemed" vented, and the WC is wet vented thru the 3" stack. Not sure what the 2" vent line does... unless it continues down to the lower level(s). If not, you could probaly connect your shower drain into that. Else, use it to vent your shower.

You can only use a san-tee to change from horizontal to vertical in a drain. (someone pls correct me if I'm wrong)

Not impressed by the 1/4 turn of the 3" stack (where it changes form vert to hor). Is it a LS (long)?

Cheers

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm getting somewhat of an education on this forum. In the past I would have only vented the end of the drain and tied into the shower drain. From what I've learned here it seems that each branch off of the main drain is vented if it is to be by the book. Some codes do not permit a sani-tee to be used on its back... I'm not sure why except maybe for clean out purposes..

Blaze

Reaction score
Boy am I confused...I actual thought I had this one close to right.

Maybe I should walk this one through 1 question at a time.

1. Is it okay to drain and vent the sink the way I have it? (The 90 at the bottom of the 3" vent is a long elbow)

2. I have read in many places that the toilet had to be vented downstream. I therefore thought I could not use the 3" stack as the vent and that is why I put in the 2" vent further along (it does not go down to any other levels).

3. As I am very tight for space for the shower (the drain in the acrylic shower pan is 12" x 12" away from the corner) I was hoping I could get away with using the 2" vent that would be the distance of 1 wye towards the toilet. What other options would I have here?

Please tell me what's right, what's wrong and how to fix it. :confused: :confused:

I am more than willing to provide additional information if it would help

student1

Reaction score
Blaze said:

1. Is it okay to drain and vent the sink the way I have it? (The 90 at the bottom of the 3" vent is a long elbow)

2. I have read in many places that the toilet had to be vented downstream. I therefore thought I could not use the 3" stack as the vent and that is why I put in the 2" vent further along (it does not go down to any other levels).

3. As I am very tight for space for the shower (the drain in the acrylic shower pan is 12" x 12" away from the corner) I was hoping I could get away with using the 2" vent that would be the distance of 1 wye towards the toilet. What other options would I have here?

Please tell me what's right, what's wrong and how to fix it. :confused: :confused:

Blaze said:

Blaze:

0. I'm not a plumber

1. Yes, as long as other code criteria are complied with.

2. The 2" vent, as drawn, is venting the horizontal portion of your waste/soil stack, not the proposed shower.

Sink is OK, Toilet is OK. If you can tie into the stack upstream from the WC, you'd probably be OK without a vent. Other option would be to extend the WC connection and tie it into the stack downstream of your proposed shwr hookup. You're allowed up to 4 fixtures "above" the WC without a vent, subject to a handful of conditions (e.g., verticle soil stack 3"+; no waste from above; max 2 WC's; top fixture connection into vertical portion of stack; all on same floor; drain connections direct and independent; max drain dia. above WC is 2", total fixtures above WC =< 8)

Or, you could run a separate shower branch (as you propose) and vent the brach into the stack (above the highest fixture flood rim). The vent vould have to be min 2x drain dia from the weir of your P-trap.

All in all, I don't see how you could cram any of that into the space you have available. You might consider connecting a (vented) shower branch somewhere else into the stack.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It appears to me that the vent between the toilet and shower is useless and needs to be tied into the shower branch which would also vent the toilet and prevent the toilet water from siphoning out the trap of the shower. Sink looks fine to me.

Blaze

Reaction score
So, if I was to put a 2x2x1.5 wye between the shower trap and the 3x3x2 wye on the main drain and run the vent up and tie it in with the 3" vent stack I would be okay?

This would get rid of the 2" vent between the toilet and the shower.

Any other thoughts out there?

Thanks
Mark

Prashster

Reaction score
I'd wait for a pro to chime in here. I think these guys are giving good advice (same stuff I'd say:) ) but there are some pros here that'll corroborate/refute with more certainty.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
how much depth do you have over the main 3" waste line?
is the waste line (and extra 2" vent) in a wall?
If there was room, I would take a 3X3X2 wye on it's back vertically off the main and put a 2" santee on top of it. Take the shower drain arm out of the san tee and vent from the top of the san tee...

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 7,094

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
layout

If you have the depth, I would put a 3" street tee, turned to face the toilet's location, into a long sweep elbow. Then 3" cleanout tee above that with a 3x2 bushing into it. Finally a 2 x 1 1/2 street tee into the bushing. The shower would be a 3 x 2 combo on its back with a 2 x 1 1/2 x 2 street tee facing the shower drain location with the trap at the end of the arm out of the 2" side opening.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks