Pump Cycles Every 45 Seconds With No Demand For Water

Users who are viewing this thread

dgrowe

Reaction score
I recently noticed that my well pump is cycling constantly with no demand for water. I checked the pit where the pump and tank reside and there is no sign of a leak there. Is it possible that I have a break in the line between my house and the pump?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Shut off the water to the house at the pressure tank. Watch the pressure gauge, if it falls or the pump still comes on, the eak is on the well side of the tank. If not, the leak is on the house side. This condition kills pumps and switch contacts fairly quickly. It also spins the electric meter pretty good.

dgrowe

Reaction score
I turned the supply at the tank off. There was no pressure drop and the pump did not kick on. Guess this means I have to start digging?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak?

Not necessarily. You could have a bad check valve that is allowing the water to drain back into the well through the piping. Is the valve you shut off located between the pump and the tank, or the tank and the house?

R

Rancher

dgrowe said:
I turned the supply at the tank off.
I agree with HJ, it depends on what you are calling the supply, but since there is no good reason to put a valve between the pump and the tank, (except I have one) I assume this is the supply to the house. If so you may have a leaky toilet, or break in the supply pipe...

Rancher

dgrowe

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean supply valve. It was just the ball valve at the pressure tank that shuts off the water to the house. I've connected a temporary hose from the drain outlet to a faucet in my garage to keep the pump from cycling. So far so good. I'm going to put in a new supply line tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks