Mirror removal

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
We have two mirrors in a bathroom that has to be taken down and I was wondering if this is a safe, easy DIY job or do I need to hire someone?

I believe they glued them on. What tools do we need, and of course, safety clothing.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
if clips above and below

if you can see a little metal clip that barely goes over the top, then you are in for an easy removal. There are usually four, two above and two below.

Press the upper clips upwards. They slide. Then the mirror will no longer be held in place and you (with a strong helper) can lift it out of the bottom clips.

david

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
I have taken several off myself without any damage. In fact I sold one after. I was able to pull one end away from the wall and just work my way along the lenght of the mirror. I wore gloves, etc in case it broke.
Good luck!

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Chances are Mastic (glue, like from a caulk gun) was used. It can be done, but be very careful. Take something like a putty knife (the longer the better, more like a spatula) and go around the edges of the mirror. Hopefully, they just used a few dallups of adhesive around the edges to secure it to the wall.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
All but a few of the mirriors I have seen that were glued to the wall, the drywall ended up being cut and replaced. The mirrors were to well glued and just cutting and replacing the drywall was easier and less messy.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
I hired a handyman who took both off in less than 10 minutes and the charge was $20. Came out perfectly and I offered them to him but he said 'no thanks, I have a million mirrors in my garage.':D

Will never have a glued down mirror, only hanging ones.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Glad to hear you came out OK.
I like the glue cuz it provides a cleaner, safer install. Unless you get an overzealous installer that globbed the glue on like a madman. Then you can forget about saving it without cutting out the wall.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Thanks. Sometimes we DIYers have to pick our battles. Taking that big mirror down was not something a little thing like me could do so I called in help.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Mirror pros use a wire like picture hanging wire, and "saw" through the mastic.

ALWAYS wear heavy leather gloves and eye protection when messing with glass.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Thats a graet idea. I should have thought of that cuz that's exactly how I remove emblems off of cars (I run fishing line behind it) same concept. I will definately use the picture hanging wire on mirrors next time.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it really came to it... ya could get one of them wire type saws they sell for outdoorsmen... I used to see them alot... roll it up and put it in your pocket then just throw it over a limb and saw with it by pulling rings on each end.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks