Street elbows

Users who are viewing this thread

Amopower

Reaction score
Are all street elbows designed to be reducers as well? In other words, I bought a 3/4" street elbow, and noticed that the one end is actually 1/2". I suppose it would be physically impossible not to reduce at one end on a street elbow. I just didnt realize that when I got it. I'm basically tapping into a 3/4" line, and continuing with 3/4" after the elbow. I suppose in order to keep the volume of water and not have that 1/2" restriction, I should get a regular elbow, right, otherwise I think I just defeated the purpose of using 3/4" pipe throughout the plan.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. Some will reduce as you noted, but a standard street ell is just an elbow with male theads on one end and female on the other of the same pipe size.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the same principals hold true with plastic pipe. I won't touch CPVC myself, but I have done lots of PVC irrigation lines and you can get all sorts of combinations of elbows and street elbows. Note: Understand there is a difference between CPVC and PVC. PVC can't be used inside the house for water supply.

E

elvisclock

The inside diameter of a 3/4 ell is 7/8 and the inside of the street part is 11/16th. I can't really see how that is an issue to be concerned about. Especially if you are only talking about one fitting.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it possible that you are inserting a 1/2" CPVC pipe into the inside of the male portion of the Street El? It is probably nearly the same diameter, but may not be the appropriate use.

The "street" end of the el should be inserted into a socket fitting.

E

elvisclock

Unless I can't tell the difference between copper and cpvc those are the measurements I got when I went out to my truck and measured one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks