1. Is CPVC a good way to run water?
2. Are some brands better than others?
3. Are there different presure ratings?

TIA,
Molo

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
CPVC is approved for indoor water use, but frankly I'd never use plastic pipe in my house. You need to realize that 1/2" CPVC has a much smaller inside diameter than 1/2" copper. I don't think brands make any difference, and they are all rated the same for pressure. If you insist on using it, please remember there is a difference between CPVC and PVC.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry Gary I disagree ,

Flowguard Gold cpvc fottings and pipe are just wonderful ! I've been using it for several years and have had fantastic results !

Just completed a HUGE house rough-in , ran close to 1,000 feet of CPVC ,,,tested at 100 psi ( Well pressure is 45 psi)

NO LEAKS !! To each their own opinon ,,, this plumber says ,,, YES !

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would skip the 1/2" CPVC and run everything in 3/4". The cost difference is minimal, you get more flow, and you only mess with one size fitting.

Most small CPVC is sold in tubing sizes. If you need larger sizes it is available in pipe sizes. It is a good bit more expensive because it is not a commodity that HD sells.

E

elvisclock

In my area we have to test @ 160 psi. I filled up the system the eveing before the inspection and when I went back after the gauge was reading 185psi due to the heat. No problems. I would go to Lowes over HD for cpvc pipe and fittings. Here they seem to have a better selection plus 1".

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
indoors, right?

molo if you are planning to use cpvc outdoors -- as in the project in your other big thread -- you really really want 1000% confirmation from the highest sources that it is good at temperatures of 33 degrees Fahrenheit, because the whole idea of running some pipes outdoors and through an attic is that they will resist cold... in case the power goes out for a long time.

david

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Be sure you put a hanger every 4 ft where it is not supported otherwise. Some say it is more noisey than metal pipe. At the price of copper alot of elite homes in this area are going with CPVC or PEX. I'm in the process of building and still trying to make a choice between PEX and CPVC.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
cpvc is just ok...barely

I dont like the stuff too much

It seems to get brittle over time...

and can snap off easy at joints...

places like at the water heater it can

begin to leak at the connections.....

they use it a lot here but it seems to
get loose at places like hose bibs...

I dont know if I would be comfortable doing
whole houses with it....
---------------------------------------------------------------
Wirsbo Pex is much more durable...

I am actally very impressed with the --WIRSBO....pex....

just had a customer that did not get the heat on in their framed only house

the water had been on since july, and they did not think to call me

to drain it down and winterize the place....

I had numerous breaks in the copper manifold...

but all the wirsbo pex was not hurt one bit , even the plastic

manifolds that I had installed on the end runs survived....

Last edited:

Pewterpower

Reaction score
CPVC is the only thing they use now in new construction, here in Florida. But then again, freezing is not an issue.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me ,,the old guys who ONLY believed in Cast Iron & Galvinized were

DEAD SET against PVC & ABS . ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thank god they were WRONG !

Cal

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I am doing a remodel today with CPVC, customers request. Personally I don't care much for it but it is used a lot in this area and PEX is starting to be used more and more because of it's speed. On all my PEX jobs I like to use copper until I am in a wall or floor then transition to PEX with good anchoring so there is no movement of the transition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks