Hole in granite counter top ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The counter top guys installed the granite counter tops yesterday. In the kitchen they only drilled one hole for the fancy faucet this dude has. The other sink had 3 holes of which two were covered by the plate thingy under the faucet... ya know what I'm talking about? Okay, here's my dilema... do I try to install the hole covering plate or leave it out? If I install it I've got to drill holes in the granite to accomodate the carriage bolts that held down the cover on the old sink. I've never had to do this before....so, if I have to drill these holes, what do I use? I assume that a normal masonary bit will do the trick.... somebody fill me in on the "how to" so I can get paid quickly....

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If it looks good without it, don't install it...
To cut the holes, you will need a special masonry hole saw... It looks like a miniature core drilling bit - they are usually diamond blades and have to be used with a lot of water to cool and lubricate them....
They are pricy and tricky to use... - I would see if the counter guys wouyld come back and cut the extra holes if you need them...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks. I've used diamond hole saws before to cut holes in aquariums..they were $60 each back then...1994 or thereabouts. I only need 3/8" holes so thought about using the masonry bits.........?????

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FOrget the plate thingy, and just install it in the single hole.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know why a good, sharp masonary bit shouldn't work. Just make sure it doesn't "walk" on you. Did they cut the counter top there and maybe leave a piece for you to practice on?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not try to put a hole in the granite. That is between the owner and the granite people. If he needs to pay them to get them to do it, let him pay them.

If you mess up the granite, then you will be responsible for $thousands$ to replace it.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Definately let the counter guys handle that. Drilling holes in granite is a PITA. If you crack that countertop, you'll be paying for it for a long time.

R

Rancher

Randyj said:
I only need 3/8" holes so thought about using the masonry bits.........?????
The problem with using a masonry bit is that it's ment to be used with a hammer drill.... DON'T, I think you can buy diamond inpregnated bits that size, use a regular drill and water.

Rancher

kimotee

Reaction score
Drill Hole in Granite Top

Barret diamond tip core drill is the right tool for the job. Barret has a drill guide and water feed system available. http://www.tilebit.com/millennium.html

Given the standard granite top thickness and difficulty, a standard tile bit simply will not work. I did a recent tile job using a tile with a PEI >600 and we needed the diamond bits just to mount accessories and the Toto toilet base. A high end ($45) specialty tile bit took approximately 20 minutes to drill a single 3/8" floor tile. Granite may in fact be slightly easier, but the time, aggravation, and risk is not worth it. Spend the money for the right tools, or call the counter top guys back.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Fortunately I was able to chunk the plate and make the faucet look really elegant. The guys totally screwed up the bath sink counter top with a slipped core drill. I managed to cover up their screw ups and "rigged" the H & C water valves with a nut from a galvanized compression coupling for a washer underneath. I can't belive that the customer actually accepted it! The installer should have sent me $500 or more for saving his butt!

The Marble Guy

Cultured Marble installer /remodeler
Reaction score
Truestone

Guys

I took a couple of quick shots of this tub, enclosure and vanity top I installed last week. This is called Truestone. It is an image of granite imposed onto a cultured marble panel. Looks great at half the cost of granite. There are some limitations at this point . Only flat stock can be used. same application as granite, just install and care for it like cultured marble. The tub is a 5 foot armrest tub made from cultured marble

truestone-01.jpg

truestone-02.jpg

truestone-03.jpg

There is a website called digital-imaging where you can see all of the colors and patterns.

TMG

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
no good deed ever goes unpunished

Bob NH said:
I would not try to put a hole in the granite. That is between the owner and the granite people. If he needs to pay them to get them to do it, let him pay them.

If you mess up the granite, then you will be responsible for $thousands$ to replace it.

I agree with BOB on this one.....

Never, ever touch a Granite counter top......

Let the Granite guy do the honors or you will be in
the middle of a mess.....

I once put plumbers putty on a faucet going in on
a granite top and got into troubles later on when the
oil leached out into the Granite... but was able to talk my
way out out of big troubles....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks