concrete patch around basement toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

taxman

Reaction score
I wanted a toilet put in my basement. I just had a plumber come out to my house and cut the basement floor and install the pipes. They patched up the floor with new concrete mix. But when I look down through some small holes on the outer rim of the flange, I can see that the concrete was not filled in all around the "neck" pipe that the flange is connected to. If you think of the flange as a clock, then there is concrete filled in from about the 8:00 position to about the 4:00 position. But from 4:00 to 8:00 positions, there is a void area where I can see the white pipe neck down below the surface. Why wouldn't they fill in this area with concrete, too, so that the entire neck is encased in concrete? Did they do it wrong?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
void

No. In fact with "new" construction the void is around the entire pipe so the flange can be attached after the concrete is poured. If the flange ever fails you may be happy for that void and wish that it was all the way around the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks