Galvanized Steel Plumbing Question

Users who are viewing this thread

RebeccaWard

Reaction score
We are purchasing a home in Maryland. The home was built in 1942. The current owner just purchased the home a year ago and in his inspection, there were no issues noted about the plumbing. Our inspector looked at the home this week and said that the plumbing throughout the house will need to be replaced. It is mostly galvanized plumbing with some copper pipes. He said that they did not use dielectric couplings between the galvanized and copper pipes, which is causing galvanic action. That galvanic action is happening throughout the house. All plumbing throughout the house will have to be replaced in 3-5 years.

The seller and his inspector from last year, argue that the plumbing is steel inside, which means the plumbing will not corrode inside...that the plumbing is fine the way it is. We're having a plumber look at the pipes and the seller is bringing in his own plumber.

Can you shed any expertise on this subject?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Galvanized piping gradually rusts from inside. Eventually, the pipe essentially closes off, severely restricting the flow (volume) The pressurecould be great, but the inside of the pipe opening could only be in the range of a small soda straw. Eventually, it will have to be replaced. A dielectric junction won't stop it. You often notice this first on the hot water lines, but if it is eventual on all lines.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The older the home gets the sooner the piping will have to be replaced. If it was built in 1942 the water pipe is reaching the end of its usefull life. I will bet if you look close enough you can find spots of rust where it has rusted through and then sealed back up. The reason your seeing any copper pipe in the system is because there was a leak and it was fixed with copper, unless there is an addition.

If the drains are galvanized they may be on their way out also.

Last edited:

Casman

Reaction score
I don't see this as any different than buying a house with an old roof. These items have a life expectancy right? 54 years I think is a long time for galv pipe, just like with a roof except the roof would show more obvious signs of needing replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks