Adding a Third Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Nelsonba

Reaction score
I'm planning to add a third bathroom to the 2nd floor of my house. Currently the main branch supplying the house is 3/4". The line coming into the house before the meter is 3/4". If I'm reading the pipe size charts correctly, it appears that the branch after the meter should be 1". Is this correct? I came up with 32.5 fixture units for the entire house including the fixtures for the new bathroom.

1 Bar Sink
1 Bath/Shower
1 Clothes Washer
1 Dishwasher
2 Hose Bibs
1 Kitchen Sink
1 Laundry Sink
3 Bathroom Sinks
2 Showers
3 Toilets

Thanks!
https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil H2

Reaction score
3/4" wouldn't meet code here. A very good chance 1" is fine. But, we need to know the pipe distance, static water pressure, along with any significant elevation change.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
Does what I have now meet code? Take away 1 sink, 1 shower, and 1 toilet from my original post.

I'm wondering if I can get away with branching from the meter rather than replacing the existing 3/4 line. The run to the furthest new fixture would probably be about 60-70 feet.

Nelsonba

Reaction score
So will this work?

I'm back again. I put this on hold for while, but now I'm ready to get back into it.

Will this fly?

-Change supply line to 1" at the meter.
-Keep the existing 3/4" cold line in place, but now branching off the new 1" line.
-Keep the existing 3/4" hot line running to water heater and to existing fixtures in place, but branch off the new 1" line.
-Branch off the 1 inch line with new 3/4" for cold line to new bathroom
-Branch off the 3/4" hot line with new 3/4" after the water heater for the hot line to the new bathroom.

So… let's recap.

1" from meter
3/4" cold branch to existing run
3/4" cold branch to new bathroom
3/4" hot branch to water heater
3/4" hot branch after water heater to existing run
3/4" hot branch after water heater to new bathroom

Does this make sense - I've attached a drawing...

Attachments

• b1.JPG
    b1.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 293
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks