Softener settings

Users who are viewing this thread

tntent805

Reaction score
Setting recommendations,

My softener is a 2cf softener with Clack WS-1 CS and regular resin. Using morton solar salt.
The controller is currently set to P14 which if I'm reading the manual correctly should give me
BW = 8
Brine / Slow Rinse = 60
2nd BW = 6
Fast Rinse = 6

Day Override setting = 14

City water hardness is 21.6 ( per the water co ).
Softener hardness is set to 23.

Flow rate at hose bib = 16 gal. min.
1" water line.

4 adults in household, 3 full bath.
Do these settings seem ok or should I change ?

Tks.

tntent805

Reaction score
9.5 lbs salt.
64, 000 unit.
Post fill.

( 0 - Iron in water supply ).

Also have a question for Gary,
Should I run it thru 2 back to back manual regin's
at full salt dose in order to get full gen. capacity.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The max is 60K for a 2.0 cuft and to get that you need 30 lbs of salt. That is terrible salt efficiency of 2000 grains/lb (60,000/30=2000).

4*60= 240* 23= 5520*8= 44160 rnd to 45K. 45,000/3333= 13.5 lbs 45000/5520= 8 days and 8*240=1920 gallons. No reserve is needed with variable reserve. Calendar override day 8 or 9.

No 2nd backwash. Normal On 0

You only do the 2 manual regenerations if you run low or out of salt.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
And this is were I disagree. There is no mention of compensated hardness. The hardness should be set at 26. As far as the override, I see no need for an overirde of 8 or 9 on city water. IMO, the overirde should be used on water with iron.

tntent805

Reaction score
So should I drop the capacity down from default 64k, and manually change it to 45k. ?

Why would I need to change hardness to 26 ? What would changing hardness setting to 26 do ?

Previously, when we had a rayne unit, they had a 2cf with flack 5600 sxt set to 27
While it was great for salt usage, it never seemrd to really soften the water sufficiently.

Here is rayne's old settings / readings.

5600 SXT
DF gal
VT df 16
CT fd
Nt --- 1
C 40x 1000
H 27
RS rc
RC 225
DO off
RT 3:00
BW 10
BD 60
RR 10
BF 16
FM t0.7

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Compensated hardness takes into account hardness minerals that are not picked up on standard tests. I would set the unit at 26 GPG. You can set the capacity at 45K using 13.5 lbs of salt as Gary pointed out. You could also set it at 40K capacity using 12 lbs salt.

tntent805

Reaction score
In order to properly change the ws-1cs, to 40 or 45k, I need to change both,
the settings for capacity from 64K down to 40k or 45k and changethe salt lbs.settings to 12 or 13.5
correct ?]

Just want to make sure I am going into the proper settings by pressing the correct button sequence in the proper order and am not changing something I shouldn't be changing.
Tks

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Press and hold the next and down button at the same time for about 3 sec. Press the next button untill you see the capacity setting and set to the desired setting. Press next again and set the salt setting. Keep pressing the next until you reach the general display.

tntent805

Reaction score
Thats what I did. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making the changes the wrong way in the program settings.

Tks,

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Compensated hardness takes into account hardness minerals that are not picked up on standard tests. I would set the unit at 26 GPG. You can set the capacity at 45K using 13.5 lbs of salt as Gary pointed out. You could also set it at 40K capacity using 12 lbs salt.
Show us what hardess minerals you are talking about and how you get 3 more gpg.

If he changes the K of capacity, he has to change the gallons too but why would you want him to reduce the K of capacity?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
compensated hardness 001.jpgI get my info from a book just like you do.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
If you can recall I told you the other day that I don't have a book but...

That must be from a supplier (maybe those selling a mixed bed softener) and I've never seen anything like that but I have seen where to add for iron and manganese, which your info doesn't mention.

TnTent, use my figures or you will be regenerating at least one day sooner and using more salt and water.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can recall I told you the other day that I don't have a book but...

That must be from a supplier (maybe those selling a mixed bed softener) and I've never seen anything like that but I have seen where to add for iron and manganese, which your info doesn't mention.

TnTent, use my figures or you will be regenerating at least one day sooner and using more salt and water.
Instead of acknowledging the fact that you have to use compensated hardness to properly set up a unit, you choose to try and discredit me by saying it may be for mixed bed softener. LOL Do you see anywhere it says mixed bed? Where does it show the iron or manganese amount? Even a softener GURU like yourself makes mistakes, but you will NEVER admit it. You are telling him to set it up using only the measured hardness. If this is how you teach, please don't try and teach me anything. And noticed I added the hardness leakage chart. The less salt you use the higher chance of hardness leakage. You are trying to squeeze 5K using 1.5 lbs of salt. It may work for you, but I would rather my customers not take that chance of having hardness leakage. The whole point of getting a softener is to get rid of the hardness.

TnTent, set it up whatever way you want. Once you get your test kit, you can play with the settings and get the most out of it if you want.

Last edited:

tntent805

Reaction score
Copy of Water report

For your review,
I Uploaded a better copy of the water report further down in this thread.
If possible could you please review the report and let me know if there are any other adjustments to the softener that I should make.

Tks.
tntent.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Instead of acknowledging the fact that you have to use compensated hardness to properly set up a unit, you choose to try and discredit me by saying it may be for mixed bed softener. LOL Do you see anywhere it says mixed bed? Where does it show the iron or manganese amount? Even a softener GURU like yourself makes mistakes, but you will NEVER admit it. You are telling him to set it up using only the measured hardness. If this is how you teach, please don't try and teach me anything. And noticed I added the hardness leakage chart. The less salt you use the higher chance of hardness leakage. You are trying to squeeze 5K using 1.5 lbs of salt. It may work for you, but I would rather my customers not take that chance of having hardness leakage. The whole point of getting a softener is to get rid of the hardness.

TnTent, set it up whatever way you want. Once you get your test kit, you can play with the settings and get the most out of it if you want.

He has city water that is chlorinated so he will not have any iron or manganese. I have never seen anything about compensating for anything other than iron and manganese.

I used the 23 gpg he mentioned and.... at a salt efficiency of 3333 grains/lb I cover 45K with 13.5 lbs. You can too if you want to but...

You are scared of calls or call backs (or want to sell more salt) so again, you overdose the salt.

My way keeps any hadrness breakthrough to less than 1 gpg and I always included a test kit for the customer to check his hardness if he thought he was getting hard water. My customers were very pleased in all regards and those with hard water usually admitted to letting the salt run out a few weeks or months ago. That is not my fault r a fault in programming but it is why they had hard water (above 0 gpg). Then they do the 2 manual regens stuff at the max salt dose of 15lbs/cuft and get all the resin fully regenerated, set the sat back to what I told them and they are pleased again.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Here is a copy of the water quality report from the water district that provides water to the area.
Please let me know any recommended changes based on the report.
Tks.
I can't read the picture but I used the 23 gpg you posted, if that is converted from the report into gpg, you divide their figure by 17.1 ppm and that is the gpg. And that is what you should use.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are scared of calls or call backs (or want to sell more salt) so again, you overdose the salt.
I guess thats why you failed the first time...Call Backs? LOL That is something I don't have much of. LOL I'm not going to sell Tntent salt so what cheap shot do you have now?

tntent805

Reaction score
Updated copy of Water quality report

I have attached a clearer copy for Water Report from the water district for your review.
After reviewing the report closer, I see in section table 4, " Detection of contaminants with a secondary drinking water standard,
in the level detected row it lists, Iron (ppb) after filtration <100 as level detected and in the next row in the MCL it lists 300.

Is that anything I need to be concerned with and need to address.

Water district also had posted a yellow sticky note,
"Information for your water softener:
Hardness = 21.7 gpg
Iron = <100 ppb"

Please let me know any recommended changes based on the report.

Thank you for all your help.
tntent

CCR2011Large_Page_1.jpgCCR2011Large_Page_2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks