How to use two air compressors to increase CFM

Users who are viewing this thread

cicerored

Reaction score
Hi,

I have read that it is possible and safe to combine the output of two air compressors for high CFU applications. I was wondering how to accomplish this. It seems to me that using an unregulated air tank would be the best way. So the input of both compressors would be connected to the air tank and a 3/8" hose for the output.

Anyone ever done this or have advise?

Thanks
Red

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; in series increases PSI.

The ONLY way to increase PSI is to adjust the pressure switch. Put check valves on the outlet of the two compressors and use short hoses to connect them into a tee. It will also work without the check valves, because both have to be set to the same pressure.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Identical compressors, right?

I don't see a difference between having two compressors running into one tank and your output is taken from that single tank
or two compressors with both their tank outputs running into a tee.

Just make sure there is no way to overpressure any tank.

Can you post the specs of the compressors? It may make a difference with positive displacement compressors vs. others.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Identical compressors, right?
Either way is fine since each motor must have its own pressure switch anyway ... and both motors even could be pushing air into just one tank with their respective pressure switches sitting side-by-side on a tee (or possibly even connected to just one switch if the switch can handle the load). Also, no check valves are needed (or even a good idea) anywhere other than between each motor and its tank. Using check valves in the outputs of two tanks teed together accomplishes nothing more than making it impossible for either motor to send air into the other tank.

Edit for correction: A bleed valve and check valve likely *will* be needed for at least one tank in order to manually bleed that tank down to get that motor started at all ... and that means my thought of two pressure switches on a tee on one tank also needs some further thought!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Multi stage compressors are used for higher PSI. But as built, the guages and limit switches of "regular" compressors would not allow you to get higher PSI. I also doubt that the compressor itself would handle the much higher output, even though the DP is the same. Theory is correct,though. We used 4 stage compressors on the boats for the 4500 PSI air system.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If both compressors are always under load you may not need a check valve. Things may get weird when the load is removed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most compressors have an "unloader" on their switches so that the motor can start under load. The check valves would be so that the compressors could be disconnected without having turn off both compressors and drain the pressure from them.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Multi stage compressors are used for higher PSI. But as built, the guages and limit switches of "regular" compressors would not allow you to get higher PSI. I also doubt that the compressor itself would handle the much higher output, even though the DP is the same. Theory is correct,though. We used 4 stage compressors on the boats for the 4500 PSI air system.

He isn't looking for pressure, he is looking for volume.

CFM is NOT PSI.

HJ is correct, almost ALL newer compressors have an unloading valve so that the motor/compressor doesn't have to fight the compression of the full tank.

raj

Reaction score
New compressor requirement

Here is my brand new requirement…..

“I’m looking for a compressor mechanism which should give me around 3500psi of air pressure.
By using the natural air, at room temperature, is it possible to create the pressure of around 3500psi by using an air compressor. The compressors which are already available in the market are costing around $3000. It is too expensive for my usage and i cannot afford that much money.

So that, I’m planning to build a new compression mechanism which suits my requirement.

Can anybody help me how to generate this pressure or are there any other air compressors which are available in the current market for less than $2000.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In what way is this related to the 2 year old thread you dug up? I don't see anything within it that would apply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are trying to fill scuba air tanks, and NO standard compressor will come anywhere near that pressure. Most are limited to 150 pis MAX. Using them, the only thing you can increase is the volume. The pressure you want requiress specialized components and they would be highly regulated to make sure they are kept in a safe condition at all times. Otherwise, you would be working with a "bomb".

raj

Reaction score
You are right HJ...i'm trying to fill Scuba air tanks...is there any way to make this new compression mechanism by my own....
i heard that, bauer compressor, junior II gives the pressure of 3500PSI. but, this is too expensive. if possible, I'm planning to come up with a new solution for a less price. I just want to know the possibility, whether is it possible to manufacture or not and how difficult it is to manufacture a new compressor.

Nestork

Janitorial Technician
Reaction score
whether is it possible to manufacture or not and how difficult it is to manufacture a new compressor.

You've kinda got the cart before the horse here.

YOU need to think up a new way to inexpensively compress air to those kind of pressures first.

THEN, based on your idea, you'll have some idea of whether it's possible to build a machine to do that.

But, you're up against quite a challenge, cuz...

Work = Force X Distance, or
Work = (Force/Area) X (Distance X Area), or
Work = Pressure X Volume

You need to figure out a much less expensive way to do the same amount of work as the Bauer Junior II air compressor does.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks