Laundry Remodel - Dry Fit - Help?!

Users who are viewing this thread

bmb2m9

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just dry fit my plumbing drains for our laundry room remodel. If you could check the attached picture of my work it would be greatly appreciated. The setup is going to be washer, dryer, sink, from left to right. The only snag (well not the only one..but) I ran into was having to shift the drain vent over to dodge the dryer vent (since it was already cut into the brick). Disregard the hot and cold supply lines, they are being moved.

It is just a dry fit so I know the pitch and plumb in the picture is not perfect. Thanks for any help and advice you can give, you all have always been helpful.

Attachments

• dry plumb..jpg
    dry plumb..jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 630

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Where the 2 vents attach together is way to low. Attach the y vent at 42" off the floor and your good to go

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you plan on finishing the wall but the foamboard must be covered by a minimum of 1/2" drywall. You cannot leave extruded foam exposed because it is a fire/smoke hazard.

That being said, your DVW will need to be shifted outward from the present wall. Given the need for plumbing and electrical installation, a full frame wall is recommended here.

Last edited:

bmb2m9

Reaction score
'm not sure how you plan on finishing the wall but the foamboard must be covered by a minimum of 1/2" drywall. You cannot leave extruded foam exposed because it is a fire/smoke hazard.

That being said, your DVW will need to be shifted outward from the present wall. Given the need for plumbing and electrical installation, a full frame wall is recommended here.

I am planning on framing a full 2x4 wall and drywalling. I just wanted to get my pipe dry fit right first. Thanks for the help.

bmb2m9

Reaction score
Where the 2 vents attach together is way to low. Attach the y vent at 42" off the floor and your good to go

What do you think the best way to do that is? I need to dodge the dryer vent which is "inconveniently" located directly above vent/main drain. Should I loop the vents around the dryer vent (effectively encircling it) or swing them to the left (possibly moving my combo further left toward the washing machine trap)?

Also, just curious, why does the y vent need to be attached at least 42" off of the floor?

Thanks for the help!

bmb2m9

Reaction score

Would this work? Use your imagination and pretend that there is pipe between the fittings I taped up.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• dryfit2..jpg
    dryfit2..jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 583

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If one side backs up, you don't want the water to go down the other side of the vent. You will never know it is plugged

Yours will work too

Attachments

• untitled..JPG
    untitled..JPG
    11 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
You could replace that san tee with a long sweep elbow and take the vent off before the elbow. Run the vent up on the other side of the dryer vent and then tie it back in at 42" or so.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Dry fitting PVC will give you problems. PVC is interference fit which means it does not go together without solvent. If you have forced pipe into the fittings, it will be very difficult to remove, even as tight as it is, the pipe will be about 1/4" from bottoming out in the fitting. This means your pipe will be about 1/4" short for every joint made. Start at one end and work from there, measure, cut, and assemble as you go.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most plumbers would replace your combo to the washer with a coupling, replace the upper "Y" with a 45, and eliminate the "vent" for the washer drain which is not needed and is redundant, and leave everything else just the way you have it.

bmb2m9

Reaction score
Well I did this project yesterday. After I was done I realized that I should have moved the sink branch up higher, it is really way too low (I will be raising the floor to make it level with the rest of the house). Should I do this by adding another vertical drop before the drain, then I assume I would have to retie a vent into the main drain?

I didn't leave enough pipe around the fittings to cut it out and move it higher.

HJ, I was under the impression that I had to have a secondary vent for the washer since it was below the sink in the stack?

Yes , I realize I am probably creating a cluster and kind of screwed up. I intentionally made the washer trap as low as possible so that I am able to use a dryer box for the dryer. Check out the attached picture.

Keep in mind, that as long as it works well and is up to code, I don't care if it looks hodge-podge to a master plumber.

The wall is going to be furred out a full 2x6, so I will have plenty of room.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Attachments

• screw up..jpg
    screw up..jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:

bmb2m9

Reaction score
Like this?! I assume you have to vent at every vertical drop after the p-trap.

Attachments

• screw up2..jpg
    screw up2..jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 715

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, that will work too. It will be a little bit busy and some venting will be redundant, but it beats ripping it all out again

bmb2m9

Reaction score
es, that will work too. It will be a little bit busy and some venting will be redundant, but it beats ripping it all out again

Sweet, thanks! What is the standard height for a sink stub-in/rough-in? About 24 inches off of the subfloor?!

Yes, it will be very busy...

bmb2m9

Reaction score
Correct PVC Cement?!

Hey guys,

I used purple Oatey PVC primer when applying PVC cement to my drain pipes. I now found out the cement I used may have not been the best for PVC Drains.

I used Oatey All-Purpose Cement and some Carlon PVC Cement (typically used with conduit). I figured it would not matter considering they are both for PVC, everything was primed and clean, I applied it liberally, and all joints are very stout.

Please tell me that I don't need to rip out my work because this will cause problems later?! I know that I should probably have used Oatey PVC Cement (PVC Specific) only with purple primer.

I checked the ingredients and there is very little variation between the different types of cement.

Thanks for any advice and sorry to be such a noob.

index.php

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
In all likelyhood, it probably will not make a big difference, but then again, I have never tried that

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have it backwards. If the sink were below the washer, the bornelli effect could cause a siphon on the sink drain, so IT would need the secondary "revent". With the washer on the bottom there is no such action so the vent is not needed.

Bpetey

Reaction score
For sure you need ventiliation. But could be the wrong type of paint was used, latex on top of an oil based, but you use oil base on top of latex, always.

Put the pipe down. This is a thread about pvc glue. For your post, you can use latex over oil if you clean the surface with TSP or sand first. A coat of primer and latex will be ok to top it off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks