Leaky and Ugly Faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim49

Reaction score
Hello to All. I am a new member and hope to find answers to a lot of questions in the future. I will be remodeling my basement and plumbing will be involved. I have done some plumbing, but not to the extent of what I am going to be doing in the near future. Here is my first question.

I just recently bought a house with some leaky shower faucets. My wife hates them. I have searched all over town for O rings, but nobody knows what type of faucets I have. Even if wanted to replace the complete faucet I would not be able to do that without knowing which manufacturer to choose from. I really do not want to tear up my wall to change out the fittings on the copper pipes. Does anybody recognize the manufacturer of this 1987 model faucets? The sink ones match the bath tub/shower faucets.

Thanks in advance

118.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

That is a "third party" faucet, which could use a common base with their specialized trim, so you have to know who made the internals. It could be Central, Price Pfister, or someone else. Once you know that then you can find out if there are other parts still available to change it.

Tim49

Reaction score
Thank you for the information I am a step closer than where I was. Do you think if I photographed the shower diverter you could possibly identy the internal part manufacturer? If so I will post the photograph no later than tomorrow.

Cookie

Reaction score
Tim,

It is ashame to replace those faucets, I like them. Can't you talk your wife into keeping them and just fix them?

Cookie :)

Tim49

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry Cookie, the gold fixtures just have to go. The previous owner had gold everwhere in this house. Her name was Rose and she also had rose wall paper everywhere.

So..., I could not remove the diverter due to corrosion. I removed the cold water faucet internal parts and took two pictures. The diverter is the same set up. Thanks for any help in advance from both professional and home grown talented plumbers.

001.jpg
002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim49

Reaction score
Thanks to all who help and provided encouragement replies.

A question for Know and HJ. Since American Standard Amarillus has been identified as the kind of faucets I have in my bathroom, do I have to stay with American Standard Amarillus or just the American Standard type fixture?

I am guessing that perhaps only American Standard or American Standard Amarillus uses the step down stem identified in the photograph. From what I am seeing on the net, those are not cheap faucets. I am guessing somewhere around $600.00 just for the bathtub.

Are there any other manufacturers that use the step down stem? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do not want to tear up my walls having to replace the fittings on the pipes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A/s

The stepped down stem helps identify it. It has nothing to do with whether some other make or model would work with it. That is a function of the diameter of the stem and the number of splines on the stem. An additional restriction is the escutcheons and they way they attach to the faucet. ALL of these pretty much preclude using anything other than parts from American Standard, and also implies that only Amarillus trim will work.

Tim49

Reaction score
Thanks again for all who have helped me solve this issue. Now I need to find out who sells the American Standard Amarillus bathroom faucets in the Pittsburgh area.

I will be reading posts on the website while I ramp up for my overhaul of the bathroom down in the basement. I want to add a shower but do not want a professional due to the fact that I must get a permit and then allow the inspector in the house and then my taxes go up.

All I need is the shower frame and some plumbing. I can do the water lines. I am not sure on the drain and how high the shower floor should be. An upstairs drain is right behind the wall and it is a 4 inch PVC drain. It goes straight into the basement floor. My cousin will put up the walls and tiles for me.

Cookie

Reaction score
Did you try HD at Ross Park? or Plumbers Equipment on Babcock? :)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Tim,

This place might be a possiblity.

Masterpiece Kitchen and Bath, 724.452.5088

Cookie

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

quote; am not sure on the drain and how high the shower floor should be. An upstairs drain is right behind the wall and it is a 4 inch PVC drain. It goes straight into the basement floor.

Experts, permits, and inspections have other purposes other than raising taxes. They help you NOT make mistakes, such as HOW to not connect to that 4" PVC drain when you install the shower, and how to do it without raising the shower floor. Unless you have an unusual basement, raising the shower floor will result in a low shower ceiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks