Well water cleansing - Simple methods
I have posted here more than once in the past couple years regarding bacteria in my well. Since we have moved in, I have had the well tested several times. It always tests positive for "Total Bacteria" and negative for E. Coli. We have been drinking the water the whole time (3.5 years) with no problems. But now there is a baby on the way. We were told to test for Nitrate and will do so immediately.
I have learned from you guys to stop using the Brita filter b/c it breeds bacteria. I have also learned that shocking the well is just a temporary fix so Iíve never done it.
Someone in a previous post last year mentioned adding a few drops of unscented bleach to the water.
My questions are, how much bleach would I have to add to a gallon of water to kill the bacteria?
And could I add the bleach, and then run it through the brita pitcher filter?
I like to use the Brita pitcher to remove the chlorine taste and the iron in the water. Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks,
well water cleansing - simple methods
I'm not buying anything extravagant. We've been drinking the water for 3.5 years now. No belly aches, nothing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can shock it like you mentioned but I'd really just like to know if I can add 8 drops of bleach per gallon tap water and run it through a brita pitcher for drinking water purposes. It would strictly be a precautionary measure.