Questions; gas/oil, chimney, hot water.. ??
I'm in the process of buying a fixer house. :eek:
I am up for some major outlays; want to try and make sure I do the most cost effective thing possible. I apologize for my rookie questions here but I'm not sure where to start.. I would appreciate your suggestions/opinions on what you would do if you had to start over with new systems.
Here's what I have now:
- Weil Oil furnace 55+ years old. Still works but I'm sure the efficiency is terrible, and it's probably on its last legs.
- Hot water coil runs off the furnace
- Oil tank (basement) is probably same age as the furnace; not leaking yet but it's not in good shape and probably needs replacing very soon.
- Combination of HW baseboards and radiators
- brick Chimney that supports furnace + fireplace in living room.. Unlined.
- I live in the northeast (CT)
- 1600 sf Cape
So.. I'm thinking about:
- New furnace (hopefully something efficient with current energy prices).. Should I switch to Gas? stay with Oil? (Gas is available here)
- Hot Water -- Coil? Tank? Electric tank?
- if I stay with Oil, I need to replace the oil tank ($$)
- If I go with Gas, do I need to line the chimney? ($$) Do I need to line it anyway for a new oil furnace? (ignore the fireplace issue for now, I'm not intending to use it unless I get the chimney done)