can a bad mouse cord short-out a laptop?
Strange think happened last weekend. I have a 2 year old laptop, used mostly by my daughter, that went completely brain-dead. No power light (when power cord plugged-in) and the restart button did nothing. I took out the battery and put it back in - and it restarted!! I'm guessing there must be an internal circuit-breaker or surge-protector that tripped, and was reset by taking out the battery.
Anyway, it happened again a few hours later. My daughter said that both times she just moved the mouse (corded) and the screen went black. The mouse cord by the USB plug does appear to be 'pinched' a bit. I gave her a different mouse and the laptop has been fine ever since.
Has anyone heard of such a problem? I hope this helps if anyone else encounters this type of situation.
Wow you saved me alot of time and money!!!!
Originally Posted by maddog
This just happened to me on my Asus G1 laptop. I had a USB cord that my dog bit, and I didnt notice until it shorted out my laptop. I even called the geek squad and just to diagnose it would have cost me $59. Not to mention the down time - I use it for work....the battery thing worked for me.
Thanks for the quick fix. :D