Moen or Delta Tub and Shower Faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rod M1

Reaction score
I have an old Gerber Shower the seat keeps leaking after repeat rebuilds. I would like to replace with a new Moen or Delta Facet is one brand better and easier to rebuild then the other? I'm looking for a model like the below picture.

Moen
[h=1]Moen 82419 Double-Handle Tub/Shower Valve[/h]

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

It is a personal preference, but I would not recommend, or furnish, either to my customers. Both have plastic parts that break. My preferred two handle valve is a Price Pfister. It is all brass, and since it has a ceramic seat stem, it is essentially "lifetime", and has a lifetime guarantee. If it should require repairs, and the only one I have had to do so was when a rock got caught in the ceramic opening and cracked it, you merely screw in a new stem.

Rod M1

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at them and they are defiantly better built. I’m probable going the go this way. But I'm wondering if a good supply house has repair parts for the valve instead of replacing the whole thing. I’m mostly concerned of the plastic part (like a cam) just behind the knob is that available separate?.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
I would stay away from any faucets that have clear plastic knobs and such. They tend to attract soap scum and are very difficult to keep clean. An all chrome faucet, on the other hand, will clean up very nicely. I have several old Moen faucets with those style plastic handles and they look dreadful. The chrome parts can be cleaned up, but the plastic really cannot.

Taylor

Reaction score
I called Delta when I discovered the shower valve was largely plastic, asking if they had an all-metal version. They said that plastic had the advantage that it did not accumulate minerals or deteriorate with standing water, and that there were stainless steel parts in the plastic where it needed strength. Any comments on that?

I admit the Delta faucet feels a bit flimsy when I work it, and I'm considering replacing it as part of a general bathroom remodel. Is Price-Pfister also good for single-handle shower valves?

Is there any way of finding out how far behind the finish wall the PP shower valve must be (this would be OX8/JX8 for the Marielle single-handle shower) short of buying the part? I don't know why this information isn't available on the web. With Delta I had to buy the part and get out a measuring tape to figure it out, it wasn't even with the installation instructions!

Thanks for any help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
delta

The parts on Delta that break are the stem extensions and the handle rotation stop tabs. Price Pfister has a wide range of mounting adjustment and if it is too deep they have an extension kit to bring the handles forward. I am going to guess that the PP mounts about 1 1/2" behind the wall, but measuring it, or referring to the instructions, would be a more accurate way. When it comes to single handle tub/shower valves then the decision reverses. The only one I recommend, or furnish, is the Delta 1700 series with separate temperature and volume/flow handles. Although the "king" of two handle valves is a special Price Pfister which is really a single handle one with a second handle for adjusting volume, not to turn it on or off. It woud fit in place of your existing one after the two holes in the tile were made slightly larger.

Last edited:

Taylor

Reaction score
Thanks, this is very helpful. It turns out my existing shower valve is Delta 1755. Do you have a reference on that "king" of two handle valves? For us the style would be PP Marielle or Delta Victorian... Unfortunately it looks like Marielle only comes with the single-handle valve, zut alors....

PS sorry Rod for the thread hijack, but my questions seemed to fit in very naturally here....

Rod M1

Reaction score
Taylor said:
PS sorry Rod for the thread hijack, but my questions seemed to fit in very naturally here....

Don't be sorry its useful information and that is what this board is all about. PF parts are about twice as much as the others! But I think they are much heavier built mostly brass compared to mostly plastic on the others. I plan on replacing the knobs with SS ones when the plastic gets grungy anyways. Thanks for your impute.

PS I would like the model number for the KING to. :D

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pp

Whywould you buy any parts, unless it was an emergency and you could not wait. PP will mail you just about anything that goes bad. As for the valve, I don't have my invoice for the last one so I will have to look it up tomorrow. It comes in three parts. The body that goes inside the wall, the trim pieces in whichever finish you want, and the handles, again whichever style and finish you want.

Last edited:

Taylor

Reaction score
PP "two-handle" valve

HJ, I'm interpreting what you're saying as being that the 2-handle "King" valve you refer to can be used with Marielle (which according to PP's challenged web site only comes with a single handle) by installing a second handle of the same style and finish. Presumably one would special order the second handle at the same time as the valve.

Would the PP valve be more prone to mineral build-up because of the greater extent of metal parts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pp

The valve body is #0X2-110A and the trim is T02-81X(a), the (a) being the code for the finish you want. They only show chrome, chrome and brass, or all brass, but may have added Oiled Bronze by now. One set of handles is 2GL-SLB(a), I believe. You order the handles as a unit, but not sure if they have a Marielle style.

Last edited:

Rod M1

Reaction score
hj said:
Whywould you buy any parts, unless it was an emergency and you could not wait. PP will mail you just about anything that goes bad. As for the valve, I don't have my invoice for the last one so I will have to look it up tomorrow. It comes in three parts. The body that goes inside the wall, the trim pieces in whichever finish you want, and the handles, again whichever style and finish you want.

I didn't think PP had a lifetime warranty on their parts just on the finish. That’s good to now sow buy the time you read this I should have one in my hands. Thanks for the advice

Taylor

Reaction score
Thanks this thread has been very helpful. I had the opportunity to go through the PP special order catalog last night, it does appear to be restricted to certain styles, and Marielle docs only list OX8/JX8 as compatible valve (this is also the only valve without ceramic parts.....) but I will contact them directly. It sounds like your criticism of alternatives to PP would apply to lavatory faucets that would match tub/shower faucet....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pp

Unless it were a single handle faucet then yes. In fact I had a customer call yesterday who has Moen Monticello lavatory faucets. While he was gone a hot water stem and handle blew out and flooded the place. Why it blew out is a mystery, unless it had partially been unscrewed sometime in the past and the process of opening and closing the faucet eventually got it to the point where water pressure could finish the job.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Price Phister faucets are a joke

You cant be serious about telling someone that price fister is better than Delta???

Price Fister is mostly sold in hardware stores to un-suspecting customers that simply dont know any better.

Delta faucets are probably dollar for dollar the best most dependable faucets sold on earth..

you can literally carry around every repair part to repair any Delta facuet ever made all teh way back into the 60s.. and this all can be carried around in a box no larger than a small fishing tackle box. (maybe smaller) Their patented parts are all integrated and are very easy to changeout

also the parts do have a lifetime warranty....

everyone has copied their design too, now that the patent has run out.
what does that tell you??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The parts book alone for Price Fister faucets is about the size of a phone book. They must comletely re-design all their parts every year or two.

I dont know how many times I have had to tear out that junk because it was literally impossible to get the right parts ,, even direct from the factory.,

Even the factory did not know what parts to send a lady I worked for one time.\ She was selling her home and had a double bowl sink with one defective faucet out on it.....price fister.....

PF sent her three different stem parts to repair the junk and couldent get it right... (you could not read the ser# on the faucets anymore)
PF was totally clueless

the new homeowner insisted on matching faucets on the wide spread sink
and the people were literally packing to move out when I arrived.

I ended up changeing out both faucets to Delta....this was about 10 years ago and I guarantee I can still repair those very same Delta faucets today.
And I wont have to call the factory and beg them for odd ball parts.

Most places HAVE COPIED the delta patent,
even CHEAP the junk from tiawan
with the copy cat delta parts are actually better than Price Phister.

I have had to install price fister faucets for people that bought them from a hardware store, and they were bad right out of the box!

I have installed literally thousands of 1500 and 1700 Delta faucets with very , very few problems.....they are the best.

The pecking order for faucets

1 delta
2 peerless (delta)
3 Moen
4 Grohe
5 Kohler
6. American Standard
7 Tiawan copy cat faucets.
8. price fister
9 lowest and cheapest junk you can buy. :

just my opinion

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This goes to show how opinions differ on these things. I happen to agree with Master Plumber Mark somewhat. I like Delta, Amr. Std. and Moen. My experiences with PP are not favorable. However, I do realize tha PP so dominates the market that on a % basis it might be comparable. There are just so many of them out there that you naturally see more repairs. It is a slight pain that they have had som many stems over the years that were similar but not interchangeable. Some of their worst designs were the hydroseal ( lousy chrome on the stems) and those long thin widespread lav stems (Marquis) with the huge handles and the tiny 00 washers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks