Procedure to bullnose porcelain tile

Users who are viewing this thread

SH140

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to buy tiles already bullnosed, or to cut and bullnose them myself out of 12 x 12's, cutting down to 3 x 12's. It would obviously be cheaper to do it myself, but not sure of quality of finished product. The tile is thru-body color. It made by Emser, and about $6 s.f. and has a slate-looking finish/texture.

Can anyone advise me on the step-by-step procedure to bullnose porelain tile. I have a Dewalt 24000 if needed.

Was hoping to order tile tonite, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'd end up with a shiny edge, and it's a lot more work than you think. You'd need some diamond pads to polish things and either an angle grinder with a water attachment and shaping wheels, or one for your wetsaw. If you want the edge to be a full 1/4-round, since the back of the tile is often a waffle shape in the middle of the field, the edge would only be straight if you did this on the outer edge cuts, and you'd throw away the middle strips (i.e., half the tile). Have I talked you out of it yet? Once you get it shaped, then you have to polish it, and that would require a series of diamond pads up to maybe as high as 3500-grit, depending on how smooth you want it. The alternatives are: buy their bullnose tile pieces; use something else on the edge (Schluter and a few other companies make edge profiles that may work, depending on your style preferences http://www.schluter.com/139.aspx).

SH140

Reaction score
After more research today on the subject, I decided to just spend the money on the factory bullnosed trim pieces. I figured that there would be other aspects of this project where I could admire my handiwork without the hassle of profiling my own tiles!!! I appreciate your honest feedback. "Momma didn't raise no fool, I know where to draw the line"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks