How to reinforce walls of acrylic tub

Users who are viewing this thread

malbadon

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a tub I installed a year ago that has (imo) very thin walls. Never thought much of it when i installed it (first time tub swap) but I can easily see light through the tub and already had American Standard come and fix a crack that happened in the sidewall when my elbow struck it while I was cleaning it.

So its made me extremely gunshy when using it. I was thinking I could get some fiberglass mats and add another layer of fiberglass along the tub wall but the area between the wall and the non-removable apron is really thin considering I can only gain access from the back of the tub.
I've included a crappy picture but it was the only one I could get that showed the amount of light that comes through the thin parts.

Image020.jpg

Am I being over-paranoid now from cracking it once? Is sprayfoam an optioin? Is there another product that can be sprayed in there that would strengthen it? Or should I try my best to get some fiberglass mats in there as far as I can reach?

thanks for any advice guys)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The real solution is to get a "real" tub. Right now, anything you do will be a "patch job" and its longevity would be questionable. You could completely encase the tub in foam.

malbadon

Reaction score
sorry, not sure what you mean by real. Thought the two options were metal or fiberglass for tubs.
Was just hoping there was some cool fiber glass spray coating I'd never heard of, instead of just resorting to sprayfoam.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks