Ruud Power Vent 2 heating shuts off

Users who are viewing this thread

jmabram

Reaction score
I have a Ruud Power Vent 2 hot water heater, model PVRP50-P. It was installed when the house was built, about 7 years ago. It is becoming more and more frequent that it stops heating the water and the water in the tank slowly cools down. If I unplug it and plug it back in it immediately starts back up. My guess would be that there is a problem with the thermostat. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Does your model have a control panel with LED indicators? If so, what code are you showing? Please provide your model#.

One issue with power vents is the pressure switch which verifies blower operation, or the blower itself.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to cause the sensors to stop operations if there's anything in the flue. A loose connection, some snow, ice, dust, bird's nest, a crack, etc. The hose going to the pressure/vacuum switch may have a crack in it. The switch may be bad.

jmabram

Reaction score
No control panel. Just a blinking red light. It is currently working correctly and the light is blinking. When it shuts off the heat and doesn't come back on it is blinking exactly the same way. The thermostat control is made by Robertshaw. Model # looks to be AP12357, but small lettering and hard to read. The hot water heater is a PVRP50-P,

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
RUUD TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Phone: 1-800-432-8373

Fax: 334-260-1341

Available between 7AM - 7PM Central Standard Time (CST)

Glenn Pearl

Reaction score
I have a RUUD Powervent 2 Model RVRP75. The unit just stopped working 3 days ago. I called a plumber who started checking everything out and said there was no power reading to the gas valve. . But he didn't know if it was the blower or the gas valve. he wants to replace both or replace the entire tank. The unit is only 7 years old. I don't want to pay for every part, just to be sure. I want to fix or replace only the part that needs it. Can anybody help me guide this plumber so I am not out a lot of money?

SHR

Reaction score
The unit is only 7 years old.

It has been my experience that power vent water heaters on average last about 6 years before rusting out. Do not put any money in to fixing this old water heater. Bite the bullet and replace the whole water heater now or you will have to pay for expensive repairs now and a likely a complete replacement in a short time.

Glenn Pearl

Reaction score
It has been my experience that power vent water heaters on average last about 6 years before rusting out. Do not put any money in to fixing this old water heater. Bite the bullet and replace the whole water heater now or you will have to pay for expensive repairs now and a likely a complete replacement in a short time.
I am not new at this and have had water heaters that have lasted quite long time. 7 years is nothing compared to other units I have had. The plumber who looked at it even commented, "this looks new, is it under 10 years?" He said they last a long time. So, I am not ready to give up on this.

SHR

Reaction score
I am not new at this and have had water heaters that have lasted quite long time. 7 years is nothing compared to other units I have had. The plumber who looked at it even commented, "this looks new, is it under 10 years?" He said they last a long time. So, I am not ready to give up on this.

We are not writing about a water heater. We are writing about a POWER VENT water heater. WAY different animal. The physics of how power vent water heaters work allows the steel to rust through at an accelerated rate compared to standard atmospheric vent water heaters.

I am in no position to nor am I interested in selling you a water heater. I have sold and installed literally thousands of water heaters and although there are always exceptions, power vent water heaters do not last much past the manufacturer warranties. Your "plumber" evidently has not worked with power vent water heaters very much or wants to make double the money off you. Try to find a natural gas power vent water heater with a manufacturer's warranty of longer than 6 years. The manufacturers know they do not last and will not warranty them for longer.

I am just giving you my free professional advice on how to save money. As a service plumber I would love it if everyone had me continue to repair their old water heaters and then be able to also make money on changing out the water heater that has all the new parts and a rusted out tank. I would end up making three times as much on every water heater my customers have. Actually after reading this again, I realize you are not new to this and know best. Just keep changing parts and paying your plumber...

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I totally agree with SHR... you should pay your plumber over
and over again and again to repair that water heater...
then when it finally leaks you can pay full price for a new unit.....
The parts are not under warranty and neither is the labor.....
a blower motor on a 75 gallon power vent cost about $400 bucks plus
labor so you can throw a lot of money at repairing one

I say go for it.........

Reactions: SHR
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks