American Standard seat

Users who are viewing this thread

glenndee

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for some input I appreciate the help in advance. What I have is an American Standard 1 piece toliet Gray in color. I am in need of a grey seat to match. It appears to be a standard round seat, but the problem is with the seat lid. When the seat lid is raised it does NOT fit between the recess of the tank lid. It looks to be slightly wide, striking the tank lid pushing it back off the tank. The markings under the Tank lid are as follows :

F 2005 58
Oct 10 1955
C55 Made in USA

The Bowl is clearly marked American Standard.The Round seat part seems to fit ok, just a problem with the lid. Is it a special American Standard and if so where do get a grey one...Thanks a lot in adavance

Glenn

glenndee

Reaction score
Follow Up..Marked "standard"

oops...Just went and looked again. The Bowl is marked "Standard" in blue. Not American Standard. Is it American standard or something else ?

Thanks again!

Glenn

D

dc_homeplumber

It is an older American Standard.

At that age, it could be a specialty seat long out of production. But to get your color, the Bemis Color Match will fix you up. It's about $70 on Bemis' website; you can find it on the auction sites for almost half that much.

glenndee

Reaction score
dc_homeplumber said:
It is an older American Standard.

At that age, it could be a specialty seat long out of production. But to get your color, the Bemis Color Match will fix you up. It's about $70 on Bemis' website; you can find it on the auction sites for almost half that much.

Thanks!...Am I looking for a particular model ? Would it have a style name ? I have looked on places like E*** and other internet stores and nothing points to this seat. Most just say either elongated or round. I purchased a round seat and the lid did not fit.

Glenn

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The brand used to be just "Standard" and at some point was changed to "American Standard". Old specialty seats can be hard to find, especially in colors other than white. Contact AM. Std. with you model number ; they should be able to help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seat

That toilet uses a standard round front seat. From your descsription, it appears that the real problem is the seat design. If it is only the lid that is hitting the tank cover, then you have to find one with a shorter lid. If it is the entire seat that hits the tank cover, then there may be no solution. But, in most cases, the toilet combination was not designed so that the seat did not hit the tank cover. That was not one of the concerns of the toilet designer, so if yours happens to have a tank almost the same height as the seat is long, I would suspect it is an accident of design, rather than intentional.

glenndee

Reaction score
hj said:
That toilet uses a standard round front seat. From your descsription, it appears that the real problem is the seat design. If it is only the lid that is hitting the tank cover, then you have to find one with a shorter lid. If it is the entire seat that hits the tank cover, then there may be no solution. But, in most cases, the toilet combination was not designed so that the seat did not hit the tank cover. That was not one of the concerns of the toilet designer, so if yours happens to have a tank almost the same height as the seat is long, I would suspect it is an accident of design, rather than intentional.

Thank to of ya'll for quick replies...Might be time for a new Toliet. The new lid is the same length as the old lid...Just slightly wider causing it not "fit" in the recess of the tank lid when open.

Have a great week!
And thanks gain!
Glenn

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks