Bathroom Sink drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

TallyDIYer

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've spied your site before but this is my first time joining and posting. I'm putting a new bathroom sink in that will be open underneath. My wife and I want to change out the trap pipe thats been there forever with a better looking one (no PVC either). The existing P trap (I believe that's the correct term) appears to be within a copper fitting right at the tile wall. I need to know how to remove it so I can put the new one in.

The old one is too short and also very ugly, otherwise I would leave it alone. See the picture below. I tried to pull the pipe out with channel locks and slightly dented it.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I would first verfiy you have iron or steel pipe in the wall if it is copper dwv, then that fitting is sweated in place as well. If there is threaded iron pipe in the wall, we normaly cut the trap arm off then use a saw to cut the brass fitting out of the iron pipe threads. Then install a male brass trap adaptor in its place.

560750.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

The picture is too out of focus to tell what you have there. It does not look like any solder bushing I have ever seen, (there does not seem to be solder between it and the trap's arm), nor does it look like a regular slip joint connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks