Flushing tankless water heater w/ vinegar

Users who are viewing this thread

H20Man

Reaction score
Where do you get a 5 gal bucket of vinegar? Sams club or something?

What about a good inexpensive pump to use for the flush? Do you just rig out some vinyl hose or whatever to the pump? I don't guess anybody sells a ready-to-go setup do they?

H20Man

Reaction score
What about the pump and hoses? Just rig something up from parts from Lowe's/HomerDepot? Most pumps you see there are like effluent pumps and are quite expensive....
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you have hardness scale in a water heater, you need a water softener. It will prevent more build up of scale and dissolve the scale build up in the tank.

That's much better than attempting to use vinegar and then when done ot have more scale form because of hard water, and have to dod the vinegar thing every so often.

I suggest a correctly sized softener for the family size, water quality and the SFR required by the house. It should have a Clack WS-1 control valve.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
What about the pump and hoses? Just rig something up from parts from Lowe's/HomerDepot? Most pumps you see there are like effluent pumps and are quite expensive....
Any suggestions?

The small rubber-impeller "drill pumps" will circulate the vinegar. There is no significant pressure loss at the flows you will be using. They usually have threaded connections for standard hoses and washing machine hoses will work.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
a rash of flushing questions....

this is the second or third person
to inquire on how to de-lime their tankless
water heaters....over the past month....

the last guy with a totally clogged up heat exchanger never has posted wether he was
successful or not in freeing up his exchanger.

maked me wonder if he ever did succeed

I wonder if this is going to be a bigger problem for
people with hard water than they realize.....

H20Man

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with mine. I'm just doing it for preventative reasons like the manual suggests.

this is the second or third person
to inquire on how to de-lime their tankless
water heaters....over the past month....

the last guy with a totally clogged up heat exchanger never has posted wether he was
successful or not in freeing up his exchanger.

maked me wonder if he ever did succeed

I wonder if this is going to be a bigger problem for
people with hard water than they realize.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks