7" rough in?

Users who are viewing this thread

junker106

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at doing some reno in my basement and that includes reinstalling a toilet on an old rough in. Unfortunately, said rough in is approximately 7" from the wall. As 7" toilets are impossible to find (or at least I'm not finding them), I was hoping that I'd be able to find an 8" toilet and use a 1" offset flange. However, I'm having trouble located an 8" r/i as well.

So, given the above parameters, I come here to ask if my only two options are A) install a two piece "antique" style with a remotely located tank (ie. hung up high or around a corner) or B) rip up the slab and reset the rough in to 10". Option B is really not viable because of the previous owner's "decision" to level the slab when he concreted the basement floor. Under the toilet, the slab is 9" thick and the 4" drain line is set into the slab about 5" below the surface. I'd have to do some fairly intensive yet sensitive demo work to free the drain main. Option A is probably doable as I've seen several toilets with a 4 1/2" rough in but because this is a basement reno, I'd really like to avoid having to spend thousands of dollars on a toilet when all I need is a two piece.

Any suggestions? Thanks much!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't take offense, but are you measuring this correctly? The measurment is from the finished wall to the attachment bolts. The standard has been 12" for a long time. The somewhat common alternatives are 10 and 14".

junker106

Reaction score
no offense taken, it's entirely likely that I could be mistaken. That said, in this case, the center of the drain to the wall is 7". The house is 100 years old and the drain is actually in a bend of the main sewer line that runs under the house (no code compliance in this basement bathroom). If I were to take the finish wall out, I think I might be able to get to 12" from the foundation which may be what I ultimately have to do. However, to do this, I'd have to relocate the water line and I'd need to look at the foundation instead of a finished surface.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can get 10" rough in toilets so you don't have to go 12" if 10" makes things easier.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Let me say first, I'm no professional so what I've seen, done, or know sure doesn't cover everything. I've never heard of a 7" rough in. Nothing less than 10". You appear to be measuring correctly though, finished wall to the center of the flange. Except, if this is super old, it may not have a flange just a lead pipe. I would say that if this all is true, you are looking at revising the drain to meet modern codes and standards and given the details about the slab, it's not a very practical DIY job. Pro concrete cutting would be the way to go. And, go to a 12" rough in. Even 10" rough-ins tend to limit choices on toilets.

junker106

Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments. Gary, you're correct in thinking it's a lead pipe, not a flanged drain line. It does indeed look like I'll need to rip up and reset, not exactly the result I was hoping for because if I decide to do the work, I'll need to get the entire drain system brought up to code. If I can use the drain as is, the entire system can be sustained as meeting code when it was installed.

Anyway, thanks for your input. And if, by some odd quirk of fate, I find a toilet that fits, I'll post again with an update.

junker

junker106

Reaction score
Mikey,

you're a genius, thanks very much for the link. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I knew they existed somewhere. Ah, the power of the internet!

thx again,

junker

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Well, it sure exists, but I'll bet it hasn't existed for very long -- looks very fancy and very new. Also very expensive, probably :( .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks