Clack WS1 / Error 2002

Users who are viewing this thread

Ted A

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in need of help. I bought a complete water softener (Clack WS1) system a few years ago for a home I had just purchased that was in need of lots of repair. During the repair work I had a heart attack an everything was reduced to a slow crawl.

This past weekend I was finally able to install my brand new system only to get an error code 2002 / unexpected stall (after regen).
I've disassembled it several times & can't seem to see any mechanical problems.

The motor seems very strained at times (it slows way down).

Before I disassembled it the first time whole face of the controller was moving & it felt like something was going to snap inside.

The troubleshooting guide in the manual shows 9 different causes for this problem.

I was hoping someone could help me narrow down the probable cause of the error.

Again this is a brand new never used unit purchased May 2010.

Thanks,

Ted

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Remove the cover and put the system into regeneration. pay careful attention when removing the cover, the buttons are a bit fragile on the board and Clack will not warrant broken buttons.

The system "homes" by stalling the motor when the piston reaches its limits. This is a unique design and it is normal to hear the motor get "bogged" down at the end of the piston limits. If the motor stalls or binds in the middle of the stroke, that could indicate a problem with the seal pack/piston. Do not lubricate these items, they are water lubricated. [video=youtube;LOvr-5coUhE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOvr-5coUhE[/video] Here is a short tutorial on the valve tear down.

Ted A

Reaction score
Dittohead, Thanks for the reply. I've previously dissembled every thing in your video at least 4 times.
The owners manual shows 9 items under error 2002 unexpected stall.
(pretty wide range of stuff from board, motor etc. etc.)

I did originally purchase from Gary & was hoping he would reply also.

It should still be under warranty but not sure how that would work with their anti homeowner policy.

Ted

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Hi Ted, sorry to hear of the problems you've had and I hope you're doing well.

I don't recall having a 2002 error code before and don't know why you can't see a cause for it but... call Clack and tell them you bought it from me and per Bob Bishop, I told you to call.

Explain the problem as you have here. I suspect it could be a motor problem if you can't find another cause. Or, how about the three gears, do they rotate without binding? Have you removed the stack and with a flashlight made sure there is nothing in the back of its hole that is preventing the stack from being inserted far enough? Or maybe don't do anything until you're on the phone with someone at Clack. Which means you should be ready and able to take your phone to the valve, or valve to the phone, and let them hear the motor run etc.. Clack should take care of you.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that calling Bob isn't going to get you too far. I'd almost bet that if he does speak with you he's just going to tell you to contact a Clack dealer/distributer in your area. Calling Clack directly is one of the things that caused them to pull internet sales in the first place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks