Reliable timer switch for wells?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I cannot seem to find a GOOD and reasonably priced timer that alllows a 220v submersible pump to operate for about 10 to 20 minutes a day. Alternate or skip a day would be nice too.

Everything mechanical seems to have 30 minute minimums and the electronic ones I want to hit with a hammer after an hour of trying to program them.

Sprinkler timers operating a relay would work, but again, the curse of programming in the ether world of little displays without a visual instant reference of your settings is absurd.

Anyone have a timer idea?

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Intermatic, make a one hour timer. If you used a 24 hour timer with the one hour timer. The run time can be set to 15 sec, to 1 hour run time.
Both of them are mach. timers. They have push pull lugs to set the on and off time.
I have done it before, I know it works.

The only other way is to use digital timer and relays.

Just a thought.

Travis

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Thanks for the start - it led me to what seems a new intermatic timer - the one size fits all. Its called GM40 by Intermatic, and the only place I have found it is at 1000 bulbs dot com. Its only 54 bucks and takes 120 - 207- 240 volt input for the motor, [dip switches] and has a 40 Amp double pole double throw switch [!] Has a Diehl type dial with 15 min intervals. Looks like this could do damn near everything in the business for half the price of whats out there. To top it off, its a NEMA raintight housing. Unfortunately, Intermatic must have moved a factory to China or Mexico to hit that price point.

There are variations with day skippers and battery backup. They claim it will switch 2HP at 240v.

Looks like this switch is German, Grasslin - Intermatic has some new tie in with them. Seems to be THE switch anyone in about any trade could stock for all uses. Can even switch 2 seperate 120v loads from one box.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Okay, that is the one size fits ALL tool box timer! And imagine that its made in GERMANY. 54 to 85 bucks depending on how hard you shop, plastic nema raintite box. Very nice piece of workmanship [timer looks like its made by DIEHL that on its own is 60 bucks with no case or terminals]

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks