Flexible PVC pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
When joining/working with flexible pvc pipe is there anything special required for it. I think I can use normal pvc fittings like you would use for rigid pvc pipe but the cement and primer for flexible is different right. Any thing else special that I should know:confused: . Thanks

Prashster

Reaction score
There does exist flexible PVC, and it looks like it can be solvent welded much like rigid pvc. But, I'd bet its flexibility causes some inherent weaknesses vis-a-vis rigid pvc of the same rating. These factors might affect where it can be approprately used.

Where are you planning to use it?

FWIW, I got this from a manufacturer's website:
"When is "schedule 40" not schedule 40? Our flexible PVC is treated as a hose by the building industry, not a pipe. Thus our hose fits Schedule 40 fittings (dimensionally) and can be used in place of schedule 40 pipe for many applications, but it does not meet all the requirements for schedule 40 pipe...The pressure ratings are not the same as schedule 40 pipe...So, while we call it "flexible pvc pipe" in reality it's a hose that fits perfectly into schedule 40 fittings, but it can't meet the most stringent "schedule 40 pipe" requirements."

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Flexible PVC is used a lot in the spa and pool industry to simplify fitting up. They make special manifolds for all the branches and it eliminates most of the elbows.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT is not PEX. It is PVC and it does come in rolls. Normally used for spas, but does have applications in low pressure systems. You have to check the glue can to see if it is suitable for flexible PVC.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
Be careful when you buy (I learned the hard way). There are two types of flex PVC in play. One will fit normal schedule 40 fittings; the other does not. They look very similar to me. I think the magick word is pipe or hose. Ask which fittings when you buy.

I used my regualr PVC glue.

Willl

Reaction score
I am using the stuff for a pond. Well it looks like I already messed up. It looks exactly like flexible pvc yet they call it suction hose at the local hardware store. I bought the stuff with normal pvc fittings thinking I had everything I needed but when I checked the fit the flexible pvc pipe/suction hose whatever was much smaller than the regular pvc fittings. I went back and they told me I should use these other fittings with hose clamps that looked like this but instead of being metal they where plastic.

I don't think they knew either cause these fittings were far to big to be the correct fittings. No way I was going to slip them on so I had to use a blow torch and a wrench to heat the end of the pipe up and stretch it. It was rediculous the time it took me to make the connections. The hose looks like this

CK5010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am surprised the flex PVC is unknown to so many people. We see it and use it all the time here in the southland (SO. Calif). It looks just like sch. 40 PVC pipe. It is white, more or less smooth inside and out, and yes it it comes rolled up on a spool.

It is often referred to by the trade-name "SpaFlex". Probably not code for service lines, but is often used in sprinkler systems to simplify some "tricky" installations.

You have to clean and prime it very good, and for some reason it seems to me that it doesn't take blue glue very well. I love the blue glues, but only use "regular" clear on the SpaFlex.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

Flexible PVC is "smooth" on the outside so it will make contact with the interior wall of the fitting. Your pipe is corrugated so it needs insert fittings.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I've read up a bit on this material and recall seeing it here in the pool and RV departments of some big box store. I see it isn't to be used where it is constantly under pressure but then the label says above its pressure rating. But no where on the packaging was there any mention of what that was... The label does mention it ballooning out of shape though.

I doubt the smooth hose type will stand up under suction. That's why you probably need the corrugated pipe type; it shouldn't collapse.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
My pool manufacturer recommends using the flex for all of the plumming in the system. That will put it under at least mild suction before the circulating pump. I think the skimmer uses the ribbed stuff that is not sched 40.

While on this general subject - I need something to use to isolate vibration or startup movement from a pump mounted on vibration isolaters. This is the potable water supply. Any ideas?

Willl

Reaction score
Check out this website though http://flexpvc.com/ The stuff looks corrugated to me. I'll insert the image in the post
FlexPVC-Pipe-Colors.jpg
They say that it should be used with regular pvc fittings. Mayby this site is just making fun of us diy guys that don't know what we are doing though:D . The fact that the outside isn't smooth so therefore needs insert fittings makes sense to me. Oh well, we live we learn:confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
FlexPVC-Pipe-Colors.jpg
They say that it should be used with regular pvc fittings. Mayby this site is just making fun of us diy guys that don't know what we are doing though:D . The fact that the outside isn't smooth so therefore needs insert fittings makes sense to me. Oh well, we live we learn:confused:[/quote]

The picture is of "smooth" flexible PVC. Corrugated hose has definite "grooves" on the outside.

Phil H2

Reaction score
robj,
That hose it hard to get fitting into. Heating them up helps a little, but the spiral reinforcing doesn't soften and stretch. I have seen it in a translucent white and green. Some has deep ribs and some is almost smooth on the outside. Some require special hose clamps.

The easiest way I found to put fittings into was to find a couple gorillas at work who were proud of there manliness. I would explain to them that a small guy like me can't do it. Then, I'd watch them struggle for a half and hour getting a fitting into the hose. We used the hoses for testing equipment.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
The stuff I used is smooth on the outside. It fits and glues into normal PVC parts with no problem. It is a bit difficult to convince it that it does not want to be in a roll. I put a hairdryer against the ned and ran the air through the pipe. It becomes easy to handle and take on new shapes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks