cast iron radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

Eagle71

Reaction score
Hello all. I need to remove a cast iron radiator next month for a bath remodel. I've done this many times but not during cold weather when the system needs to be on during renovations. I initially thought I could take out the radiator and plug the unions, but apparently there are differing opinions on this. I read that some people plug and others put a jumper pipe in between the two. I don't see the problem with plugging the supply and return since closing the valve somewhat does this anyway. What to do? thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the radiator has a valve, then you have a "main pipe" system and you can cap the risers. IT is when you have a "continuous" loop that a jumper has to be installed, but that type of system does not have individual valves.

Eagle71

Reaction score
Thanks man. That's what i thought. Just wanted to be sure.

Eagle71

Reaction score
I removed the rad yesterday and capped off both copper lines. Then refilled and bled system. Just curious though, now that there is some air trapped in those two capped pipes will it adversely affect the system?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you've got flow everywhere, the air in there will eventually be absorbed into the water and purged out, but that could take months. I doubt there is enough volume in those pipes to affect the water pressure much, or enough trapped oxygen to be much of an issue. I'd monitor the pressure over the first couple of weeks, but you'll probably not notice...depends on how the expansion tank is setup whether the volume change would make any difference...probably not.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks