Lighting outdoor takagi

Users who are viewing this thread

HANK WHITE

Reaction score
GUYS;
So here I am in winter, it's raining, 42 degrees, and the stinkin' Takagi TK3 outdoor propane water heater won't light off.
I get gynormously frustrated, go to the barn, and return with an old electric room heater. I aim it at the Takagi from 2 ft
below it in the screen porch where it lives, and turn it on. It warms that Takagi and its' pipes up to about 60-70 degrees in
5 minutes or so, and Voila! hot water, Takagi runs normally, wife is happy. It is so stupid to have to warm up a water heater
to get it to turn on and make hot water. This functional fix is truly 'Hillbilly' in all its' grandeur. It's the only good fix so far.
Can anybody out there beat this junkyard fix??

Hankster
Redding, Ca.:rolleyes:

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't say I know anything about an outdoor water heater. We all have our heaters in basements here in PA. It seems to me that an outdoor water heater has lots of potential problems... is there any real benefit other than not taking up space inside a house w/o a basement?

Can it go in the attic? I know a lot of southern homes w/o basements do that... it would at least be a little warmer, though not much if your attic is properly insulated and vented.

Obviously those are bigger jobs requiring major replumbing and probably not what you're looking for. Can the space be enclosed, insulated, and partially heated by the house's heat? Make sure the venting is done properly if you go that route...

Also, why is your heater not working in only 42 degrees? That seems like a malfunctioning heater to me, but again, I know nothing about outdoor heaters.

This is probably completely unhelpful, but I'm curious as to the answers others might give too...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks