Replaceing Oil Boiler and Electric Hot Water Heater w/ Gas

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I need help making this decision please…looking at it from a long term economical stand point.

A) Do I purchase a hot water heater and boiler and vent through the chimney? If so, I’ll need to spend $2000 for a stainless steel liner to re-line the chimney.

B) Or, do I spend a little more for high efficiency boiler and direct vent to outside and not use chimney?

If I go with Option B, what do I do about the hot water heater? I was told I could use an indirect water heater with the boiler…is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance… any ideas would be helpful.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
What Tom said. By the time you factor in the cost of an SS flue liner it's cheaper to buy a condensing boiler.

Depending on your actual heat load there's a middle-ground. Power drafted 85-88% AFUE cast iron boilers exist (some sealed-combustion, others not), and may be a suitable alternative. But the smallest of them are 2-plate units with ~40-45KBTU of output. If your heat load is well under 30KBTU at design condition you'll get much better peformance out of the smallest-in-class modulating-condensing boilers. And if you can't park the thing next to a wall you'll be into some fairly expensive stainless steel side-venting, if local code prevents you from using B-vent even as a chimney liner. (Some places will allow B-vent as a liner for gas boilers, but not for oil.)

By the time it's said & done, with any federal/state/local subsidy for going with a mod-con it may be cheaper & better up front to go with the higher efficiency. Just be sure to buy the smallest unit that actually meets your design-day heat load- a 3-4x oversized mod-con will cost more up front and likely short-cycle itself into an early grave.

Be sure to seal up the unused flue, otherwise it'll be driving air-infiltration 24/365. With a sealed-combustion mod-con you can make the place super-tight without fear of backdrafting issues, and doing so will lower your heating AND air conditioning bills.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks