Toto Flapper/ Flange Question

Users who are viewing this thread

dzd9fy

Reaction score
We have two ultramax, one is about 5 years old, the other 1 year. The older one has never had a single issue, but the new one has what I think might be a leak where the flapper and the flange mate together. I think the issue is here as the toilet seems to shut off after a flush then after some random amount of time the fill tube [black line off the valve] will ever so slowly drip until the toilet is flushed and refills and shuts off.

I have pulled the flapper off the old toilet and put it on the newer one, and the issue is almost gone. Swapped them back and the new ever so slightly leaks again. Neither flapper looks bad so I am wondering if there is a defect in the flange the flapper mates to? Or do I have a bad valve? I have played with the shut off heights and it does not seem to change the issue one way or another.

Thanks....:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you shut off the water supply to the toilet and let it sit say overnight, if the tank is empty or down, then the flapper valve is leaking and just go to a plumbing supply or Lowes and buy a new one. Another thing you can do is put some food coloring in the tank. If it's clear in the morning or there's color in the bowl, it is leaking. Depending on your water, they will last anywhere from 6months to many years. Never use any chemical cleaners in the tank. If there is any crud on the seat for the flapper valve, it could leak. Rub your finger around the seat and see if it is nice and smooth.

If the chain is too long or short, it could either get caught up underneath the flapper, or hold it up slightly.

If the overflow filler hose is not in its clip, it can siphon and cause problems.

dzd9fy

Reaction score
Not the flapper!!

Ok, well this is wierd..... what I thought was an issue with the flapper leaking appears to actually be the shut off valve not shutting off, if that makes sense.

What seems to be happening is that I cannot adjust the water level below the top of the tube, and as a result I have this continual drip drip drip as the thing seems to want to keep the level above the tube. Adjusting towards the + and towards the - does not seem to impact the fill height. Suggestions????

dzd9fy

Reaction score
Is there a way to take the valve apart to check/ fix this? The valve does not look like those I have seen in other posts refered to as a Kroky, what I have says "g max'on the top and does not appear to disassemble as the Korky.

If not, is the Korky a direct swap and hopefully better quality? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most Totos use one of two valves, the one made for them by Korky can be repaired, I've heard the other one can't be. So, have Toto send you a new one. Note, if you have sand or other crud in your water, you might have that problem continually with nearly any valve unless you filter it out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks