Leaky Lavatory

Users who are viewing this thread

Erniek

Reaction score
Noticed a leak under the elderly neighbors lavatory where the tailpiece enters the trap adapter. Tailpiece was jammed in at an angle (rough is about 1 inch off, outside of trap reach). Short of chiseling the fitting off (hub is tight to drywall) can I possibly heat a plastic tailpiece enough to flex that far?
Or should I do the right thing and just cut it out?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Often the solution is to replace the trap, especially using a longer trap arm. That may get the swivel within reach. And if that doesn't do it, sometimes you have to put an 1/8 bend or a 1/16 bend at the wall, to "aim" the trap arm towards the tailpiece.

Anytime we have seen pictures here of a plastic pipe that someone tried to heat and bend....well, it is never pretty, and never works!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

I assume you mean the "wall bend" and not the tailpiece, but regardless of which piece you mean the only proper repair is to remove it pipe it so it lines up properly. IF you have the necessary height, you could use a tubular offset and cut it apart so the two ends make the necessary offset in the vertical drop to the trap.

Erniek

Reaction score
Often the solution is to replace the trap, especially using a longer trap arm. That may get the swivel within reach. And if that doesn't do it, sometimes you have to put an 1/8 bend or a 1/16 bend at the wall, to "aim" the trap arm towards the tailpiece.

Anytime we have seen pictures here of a plastic pipe that someone tried to heat and bend....well, it is never pretty, and never works!

Yes sir, you are right...just thin enough to melt but not puncture. I planned on scoring the hub and hope I can chip it off. It is tight to the wall. It is the wall bend that is off...missed it by that much! I dislike using a lot of offsets so I will just go ahead and glue a 1/16 bend in the right direction.

Thanks for the advice..if it was copper or black iron I would be at home...plastic not so good.

Erniek

Reaction score
I assume you mean the "wall bend" and not the tailpiece, but regardless of which piece you mean the only proper repair is to remove it pipe it so it lines up properly. IF you have the necessary height, you could use a tubular offset and cut it apart so the two ends make the necessary offset in the vertical drop to the trap.

Yes sir it is the wall bend and it is about 1 1/2 inches outside the trap reach. So I guess I get to get to chisel away at the hub and hope for the best. Too bad it is so tight and so new...not sure how it didn't leak from the get go.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks